Monday, August 01, 2011

PETE THE CAT: ROCKING IN MY SCHOOL SHOES

I have to admit that I was a little bit worried about reading the sequel to PETE THE CAT: I LOVE MY WHITE SHOES by Eric Litwin.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE PETE THE CAT and could not imagine how the 2nd book could possibly live up to my expectations.  You can imagine how happy I was when I read PETE THE CAT: ROCKING IN MY SCHOOL SHOES and LOVED it! No disappointment at all. Eric Litwin and James Dean have created another great song/book! And I can't wait to share it with kids.



Katie at Creative Literacy was the first one who told me about PETE THE CAT. Since then, I have been on a mission to make sure everyone I know, knows about this book. The first book was a huge hit with all of our kids last year.  Even the older kids could be caught singing it to themselves. Parents learned it on field trips as kids sang it on long bus rides. I even dressed up as Pete the Cat for Halloween.

If you know the first book, you know how engaging it is for readers. You can't help but singing along and enjoying the story and the character.  Not only is it a fun story, but it has a great message. Well, the new book is just as fun, but a little different.  The song and rhythm are similar (thank goodness!) but this is a story about Pete at school. He does all kinds of things like go to the library, eat in the cafeteria, and play on the playground.  The text invites students to sing along with Pete as he rocks in his new school shoes. It also invites them to jump in with the place in the school where Pete is doing whatever it is he is doing. A perfect book for young children at the beginning of the school year. So many possibilities!

I am so happy about this book--it will be another PETE THE CAT hit!

8 comments:

  1. I saw you mention this on #titletalk last night and was bumbed I didn't see it first. I knew one was coming! Thanks for the great post and I ordered it last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this book! I introduced my K team to this book last year and we all were so excited about this sequel. My kids LOVE Pete. I pre-ordered this weeks ago and was so excited when it arrived last week. I've already bought 2 more for gifts. Such a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Franki! I'm so excited to introduce Pete to my kiddos in a couple of weeks. We'll be singing all day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to have to go find a copy for my classroom. I was so excited when I heard this new Pete the Cat book was coming out. Glad to hear it's another enjoyable book to share.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too saw you mention this title on #titletalk, I was so excited to read it! Today I went to Barnes and Noble and there is was! Imagine my disappointment when I realized I forgot my wallet! Oh well, there is always amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also wary about the second Pete the Cat book measuring up to the fun of the first; but, like you, I was delighted that it did just that. Can't wait to share it in classrooms and with teachers when the new school year starts! It's another wonderful book to add to the ever-growing pile of books for early readers. It won't be long until they are reading it on their own and with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so excited when my copy arrived today. It's just as good as the first, which my third graders loved and voted as their favorite picture book last year. I'm excited to share both of them with my first graders this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:41 PM

    Pete and his School Shoes arrived last Friday in the mail. My 4 year grandson was visiting and I told him Pete's new book should be arriving today. He went out the mailbox and shivered at the Amazon box and shook it with delight. When we opened it he was beside himself. He ran upstairs got Pete ( stuffed animal) off the bookshelf and wanted him by his side when we sat under the trees and read the book for the first time. Next July he wants a Pete the Cat book birthday party - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.