Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Forgive Me, I Meant to Do It: False Apology Poems by Gail Caron Levine

I fell in love with Gail Carson Levine years ago when I read PRINCESS SONORA AND THE LONG SLEEP. The humor she brought to her retelling of one of my favorite stories--The Princess and the Pea--was brilliant. And I went on to read the rest of her Princess Tales.  So, I have been looking forward to Gail Carson Levine's new poetry book called FORGIVE ME, I MEANT TO DO IT. I really had no idea what to expect from this book, but knew that I'd want a copy. I picked my copy up at Cover to Cover last week and read it when I got home.

This book was one that made me laugh out loud. Each poem in the book is connected in some way to a fairy tale or nursery rhyme we know.  The poems are apologies from characters, etc. about their actions. But they are false apologies which makes them even more fun. I kept finding poems I wanted to share with my family. (My husband was thrilled as I continued to read samples aloud while cracking myself up--he was trying to watch March Madness...)  One of my favorites was an apology poem from Pinocchio.

I think kids will have a ball with this one. Older kids will make the connections needed to understand the humor.  For some, this may inspire them to read some of Gail Carson Levine's other fairy tales--her retellings and her original tales.

The author's bio on Amazon states that Gail Carson Levine shares a birthday with William Carlos Williams.  How fun, then, for her to write a book inspired by his famous poem!  The author does invite readers to try their own apology poems--she does so with her usual wit:-)

So much to love about this author and this new book!

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of some of the poems in This Is Just to Say by Joyce Sidman, another book inspired by Williams's poem. I reviewed it here: http://eveninaustraliakidlit.blogspot.com/2011/11/real-poems-by-fictional-children.html. They are not fairy-tale based but some are certainly insincere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

    I, too, was reminded of Joyce Sidman's book. This one sounds pretty snarky (too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have put myself on the library hold list.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this a couple weeks ago and used it as a series of mentor texts to help kids understand how these kinds of poems are written and appear on paper -- the technical stuff -- and how the author conveys that kind of humor. My third graders loved it and had a blast writing their own "false apology" poems. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.