Sunday, June 10, 2012
GIANTS BEWARE! A Fun New Graphic Novel
I bought a copy of GIANTS BEWARE by Rafael Rosado and Jorge Aguirre at our Selections Book Fair. I hadn't seen it but it was a hit with the kids. The cover grabbed my attention immediately and I knew it was a graphic novel that I wanted to read. I read it last week as one of my #bookaday books and I LOVED it. It might be my new favorite graphic novel. It is perfect for middle grades and middle school. This is the story of Claudette, who lives in a town safe from evil. The town is walled in and no one can go out and one main reason is the giants. But Claudette isn't afraid and she wants to fight the giants rather than hide behind walls. She convinces (slyly and a little dishonestly) her brother and her best friend to accompany her on her journey to slay the giant. I love this book for so many reasons:
1. I love the characters. I love the way they are drawn and I love the development of each of the characters' personalities.
2. Claudette is a funny heroine--a female fighter at heart. She is definitely one of my new favorite characters.
3. The graphics are engaging--I have trouble with graphic novels because I don't often spend enough time with the visuals. This book makes that part easy to do. Lots to look at and make sense of throughout.
4. I love Marie's hair. Marie is Claudette's best friend and she is an aspiring princess.
5. The humor is brilliant. And surprising. Throughout the book, there were these great lines that made me laugh out loud.
6. The combination of scary adventure and fun is perfect for middle graders.
A great read and I am hoping to see more Claudette books sometime soon!