Monday, December 31, 2012

Coming Soon: January

A few years ago, I started a strand on my calendar to alert me to upcoming books. So, I technically have a book release calendar. I hate when I hear about a book weeks or months in advance and then forget about it.  So, this calendar reminds me of those books I am looking forward to.  I add books as I see them and I check the calendar every few weeks looking ahead to what is coming up.  Mr. Schu is far more efficient and organized than I am and  I check his public Book Release Calendar often.  Some of my students have also gotten into the habit of checking Mr. Schu's calendar for upcoming titles.

This year, I thought that every month, I'd share the titles I am most looking forward to in the coming month.  So, today, I thought I'd share the books I am excited about that are being released in January. Here they are!

January 1

Whatever After #2: If the Shoe Fits by Sarah Miynowski is the second in this Whatever After series. I love all things fairy tales-especially middle grade and YA versions of classic tales.  The first book in this series was popular with my 4th graders and I am excited that there is another coming out.  This is a present day story in which two kids somehow get transported to a story and have to solve a problem. This new one is centered around the Cinderella story.

January 2

Nelson Mandela by Kadir Nelson--I love anything by Kadir Nelson and am excited about this new picture book biography about Nelson Mandela.  I love adding picture book biographies to my collection and I love that Kadir Nelson has done this one! Can't wait to see it!



January 8
I am really excited about The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier. I don't allow myself much time to read adult books as I spend so much time reading children's and YA books but I will definitely make time for this book. Tracy Chevalier is one of my very favorite adult authors and this book looks to be another good one. I love that it is set in Ohio too-an added bonus!



A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin is one I am interested in because I love this author and this illustrator.  Jen Bryant and Mellissa Sweet are two of my favorites so I can't wait to see them team up on this picture book biography.






January 20
There is one professional book I am looking forward to in January.  Bill Bass and his colleagues have written a book with ISTE called FROM INSPIRATION TO RED CARPET. The book shares the story of a district who hosts a film festival for students.  I am excited to read about the power of video production, the projects that are possible, and more. Definitely one I have been looking forward to that I think will impact my classroom!






January looks to be a great month for books!!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished formatting the interview I did with Jen and Melissa for their book. I'm so in love with it. Best biography picture book I've seen in recent memory.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your contribution to the conversation!