Friday, April 26, 2013

Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations.26

Creative Commons photo by Brocken Inaglory. The image was edited by user:Alvesgaspar
From Wikimedia Commons Featured Images: Natural Phenomena

BUBBLE

thin 
skin:
just
water 
and 
soap

clear sphere:
a vessel 
of hope

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2013



Hold me gently:
fingertips touching tender skin;
for inside,
I remain invisible
and vulnerable to the way things have been.
I float above this world,
in a cloak of color
but my rainbow drains easily,
so be gentle.

©Kevin Hodgson, 2013



From Carol (Carol's Corner):

"Soap Bubble"

A gentle puff
rainbow carriage
appears
dancing
shimmering
glimmering
inviting me
to journey
to a magical
far away
fairy world.

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2013


From Margaret (Reflections on the Teche):

To see life
in a bubble
like a looking glass
transparent
spherical
silky
slide across
slip inside
pop
fly!

©Margaret Simon, 2013


From Lisa (steps and staircases):


and a haiku:

Bubble reflecting
my home, my world, me; this day
an island in time

©Lisa


From Cathy (Merely Day by Day):

Bubbles

Bubble, Bubble,
blow, blow.

Bubble, bubble,
grow, grow.

Bubble, bubble,
soar, soar.

Bubble, bubble,
more, more.

Bubble, bubble,
fly, fly,

Bubble, bubble,
high, high,

Bubble, bubble,
drop, drop,

Bubble, bubble,
Pop!

Pop!

©Cathy Mere, 2013



Laura Purdie Salas has the Poetry Friday roundup this week at Writing the World for Kids.

Here is the other media I've featured this week (and, of course, the poems the media inspired--poems by me, and by the three or four other people who have been playing along with me this month):

Thursday: Photo of Broadway Tower
Wednesday: Video of a Sushi Train 
Tuesday: Sound of Birdsong
Monday: "Irises" by Vincent VanGogh
Sunday: Animation of a Rubik's Cube (edited to add a video made by one of my students of him solving the cube in under 20 seconds)
Saturday: Old Map of San Antonio, TX




The theme of my 2013 National Poetry Month Project is 


"Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations." 


Each day in April, I will feature media from the Wikimedia Commons ("a database of 16,565,065 freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute") along with bits and pieces of my brainstorming and both unfinished and finished poems.

I will be using the media to inspire my poetry, but I am going to invite my students to use my daily media picks to inspire any original creation: poems, stories, comics, music, videos, sculptures, drawings...anything!

You are invited to join the fun, too! Leave a link to your creation in the comments and I'll add it to that day's post. I'll add pictures of my students' work throughout the month as well.

30 comments:

  1. Hold me gently:
    fingertips touching tender skin;
    for inside,
    I remain invisible
    and vulnerable to the way things have been.
    I float above this world,
    in a cloak of color
    but my rainbow drains easily,
    so be gentle.

    -Kevin
    The podcast: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0MooiPbR3y0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin,
      As always, I love going to the podcast and hearing your voice read the words you wrote. Think that's so, so powerful. This morning I especially loved those last two lines…I'll be thinking about, "My rainbow drains easily" all day.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Carol.
      I hope the words are gentle with you ....

      Delete
    3. Love the POV of the bubble itself.

      And I second what Carol said about your podcasts. Please don't forget to say, "I hope you write a poem today, too." That is my favorite part!!

      Delete
  2. "Soap Bubble"

    A gentle puff
    rainbow carriage
    appears
    dancing
    shimmering
    glimmering
    inviting me
    to journey
    to a magical
    far away
    fairy world.



    (c) Carol Wilcox, 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your use of rainbow imagery was a nice connection back to mine (intentional or not). The "rainbow carriage" is a great phrase. What is it about rainbows and the magical element, eh?
      Kevin

      Delete
    2. I, too, love your "rainbow carriage." You have brought the fairytale magic from yesterday into this poem!

      Delete
  3. Mary Lee, again, I am stunned by your ability to take such a very few words (12 today) and craft them into such a gorgeous message. Wow…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, that is EXACTLY Mary Lee's talent, isn't it? Making so much from so few words. While this poem seems like just a happy little bubble itself and children will love it for its simple image, we (older ones) all know what happens to bubbles (and unfortunately to hope, too) . . .

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your compliments! I'm still more than a little awestruck as I watch this "talent" emerge and develop from MY side of the pen. I'm learning to listen to it, to trust it, to follow it.

      For this poem, I had the first bit, and I knew that soap would rhyme with hope, but then dinner was ready. We ate and were relaxing with a little bit of TV when "clear sphere" popped (ha) into my head, accompanied by a little rush of "YES!"

      Delete
  4. Mary Lee
    wonderful last line to your poem.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Mary Lee! You catch the essence of a bubble.

    Violet N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. What a great last word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You pack so much into such a little space...that's a real sign of talent. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bubble poem is 'bubblicious', Mary Lee! Perfect choice of words throughout. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:04 PM

    To see life
    in a bubble
    like a looking glass
    transparent
    spherical
    silky
    slide across
    slip inside
    pop
    fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how fly (YAY) is the end of your poem instead of pop (WAH)!

      Delete
  10. This picture appears the morning after I was inspired to make chalk bubbles yesterday afternoon-->Both bubble images shared to involve others! You can find pictures here:

    http://stepsandstaircases.tumblr.com/post/48901784100/invitations-to-draw

    The connection inspired a haiku--

    Bubble reflecting
    my home, my world, me; this day
    an island in time

    I've been reading these posts every day, and enjoying every word written in response. Thank you to all the poets. Mary Lee, and Franki, thank you for all you share--This blog is a gift, floating through the universe, like the beautiful bubble pictured here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Thank you for sharing the coincidence of your chalk bubbles! What a fun invitation!! I love your haiku, especially "this day/an island in time." Yes.

      Your blog, too, is a beautiful gift to the universe, a bubble floating around alongside ours! I admire what you do with an image and only a very few words. I intend to keep writing a poem every day or two after 4/30, and your blog will be one of the places I go for inspiration!

      Delete
  11. I think this is my new Mary Lee favorite...just amazing what you are able to do with an image and a thimble full of words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mary, I love these lines from you:
    "clear sphere:
    a vessel
    of hope"
    - I love bubbles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went first grade today!

    Bubbles
    Bubble, Bubble,
    blow, blow.

    Bubble, bubble,
    grow, grow.

    Bubble, bubble,
    soar, soar.

    Bubble, bubble,
    more, more.

    Bubble, bubble,
    fly, fly,

    Bubble, bubble,
    high, high,

    Bubble, bubble,
    drop, drop,

    Bubble, bubble,
    Pop!

    Pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect for the little ones! And here is another masterful use of only a few words -- only NINE in Cathy's!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful, Mary Lee. I just ran out of steam today, couldn't make the poem. Glad to see so many!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your poem, Mary Lee--so succinct and vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lot going on inside that little bubble poem, and a perfect pairing for that image. Well done, Mary Lee. -Ed

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm finally getting to the Poetry Friday posts. Thanks for all the loveliness this month, and enjoy your rest now that the month is over!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.