Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Book Clubs



Wednesday is Book Club Day in Room 228.

Before we get deep into Book Clubs that address specific skill needs, we are getting used to thinking with partners, and digging deeper than the surface.

We started with fractured fairy tales last week.

This week, we will read wordless picture books.

I have Chalk on Kindle on all of my personal devices in the classroom, so one lucky group will read digitally.

The two newest wordless picture books in my collection are


Journey
by Aaron Becker
Candlewick, 2013

and


Zoom (Picture Puffins)
by Istvan Banyai
Puffin Books, 1998

I'm not sure how Zoom fits with the narrative work I want my students to continue with...perhaps I can find several more in my collection that are simply visually stunning and we can do some compare/contrast work with books that tell a narrative story and books that simply help us to see the world with new eyes...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:34 PM

    Journey is so magical! Totally love your book club using thinking partners with wordless picture books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea--always feeling book clubs need to be a longer timeframe.. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.