Wednesday, July 29, 2015

2 Nonfiction Picture Books

I am looking for more informational picture books to read aloud early in the school year. I am looking for books that might spark some notebook writing as we launch writing notebooks. I found 2 that I think will work out great for this early in the year.


A Chicken Followed Me Home! Questions and Answers About a Familiar Fowl by Robin Page
The premise of this book is that if a chicken followed you home, what would you wonder? Each page spread focuses on one of those questions and then gives readers an answer about chickens in general and then about the specific chicken that is following you home. This is a great Q and A format and it will also be good to talk about wonderings and questions you have throughout the day or about specific topics.  I love Robin Page's work and she is an author I want my students to know.


I'm Trying to Love Spiders by Bethany Barton is one that will make kid laugh. The author hates spiders and is trying to love them. But she just wants to squish them (and she does squish a few). But as she learns more about spiders, she starts to realize they aren't so bad. A fun way to learn about spiders and a fun type of writing to try in notebooks early in the year, I think.

5 comments:

  1. These look fun! I have tried to love spiders...and failed. Except Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea to look for nonfiction books to inspire notebook writing... You have me thinking about the nfpbs I have and wondering which would fit this bill... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing some nonfiction titles to launch notebook writing. I just ordered both, you are dangerous! I personally need to read the spider book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Franki,

    I left a comment the other day--but it never posted.

    I'm going to order a copy of "I'm Trying to Love Spiders" for my granddaughter Julia for her fourth birthday. She used to be fascinated with all kinds of insects and bugs--especially daddy longlegs. Now she freaks out when she sees spiders, flies, moths, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Franki,

    The copy of "I Am Trying to Love Spiders" that I ordered for my granddaughter Julia's fourth birthday arrived today. I LOVE it--so does my husband. I can't wait to read the book to Julia on Thursday. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.