Thursday, January 19, 2017

Poetry Friday -- Social Activisim



Here We Go -- Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong of Pomelo Books have knocked another one out of the ballpark.

Like their first Poetry Friday Power Book, Just You Wait, this interactive verse novel/optional poetry writing course is full to the brim with anchor poems, response poems, and mentor poems. There are Powerplay activity pages for brainstorming, and Power2You Writing prompts that encourage poetry writing.

Here We Go features four characters who are dealing with timely issues: being an immigrant, being a Muslim, surviving family tensions, dealing with fake news, trying to do good in the world.

This is the right book at the right time. I'm hoping the characters in this book will help me encourage my 5th graders to look beyond the school walls and the boundaries of their neighborhood and find their own ways to make the world a better place. Thank you, Janet and Sylvia for using poetry to start the most important conversations we could possibly have with our students.

Check out Irene Latham's extensive review of Here We Go for more details about the book.


Violet has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Violet Nesdoly | Poems.

20 comments:

  1. I first read about this book last week, and I still want to read it myself. It does sound like the right book for the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot wait to read this collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfect book for these times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lee, a perfect book for expanding our understanding of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got it this week, and will use it myself, but oh do I wish I had a class. Lucky you, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A oerfect book for our time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got my copy. I'm over-the-top excited to be included. The format is just right for the creative student poet or the shy, unsure writer. What a great team, Sylvia and Janet! If you comment on my post, you may win a free copy. https://reflectionsontheteche.wordpress.com/2017/01/20/poetry-friday-here-we-go/

    ReplyDelete
  8. CAn't wait to get my hands on this book. I feel like I need a standing automatic order for all by Wong & Vardell! Great post. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Mary Lee! I was going to say: "a perfect book for this perfectly rotten time that we're in"--but I need to remind myself to think beyond that. Look at all the good things that our unfortunate current events have inspired . . . such a wide variety of people who are feeling compelled to act in some way, whether it is marching or buying MARCH--or simply reaffirming kindness as a daily guiding principle. These are times for BEST actions--and we hope our book helps kids feel that way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Lee, I am really excited about Janet and Sylvia's new book that seems to have hit the pulse beat of the times, according to your review. Thank you for sharing such a rave review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to read this one. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a timely collection, so looking forward to reading, exploring and sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dynamic duo of Vardell and Wong just keep churning out these great books. And it sounds like the issues in this one are very current. Thanks for the heads-up on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great, Mary Lee! Thank you for putting books like this out there to celebrate humanity and diversity. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to reading this. Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been hearing so much about this book - what a unique concept!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A perfect book for these times. Thank you to all who contributed mentor poems that will nurture the idea that people can affect change. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "This is the right book at the right time" — YESYESYES!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great book to help your students become active members of their larger community. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.