Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Little Tree by Loren Long



I was able to see an advanced copy of this book over the summer and fell in love with it. And when the real book arrived last week, I fell in love with it all over again.  Loren Long is a favorite author of mine. He is an author who is able to write about complex issues and ideas that are accessible for young children. His Otis books have started some of the best conversations in our classroom over the years.

I love Little Tree as much as I love the Otis books.  Loren Long's words and illustrations are brilliant and I can't wait to share this book with my students.  The book tells the story of a little tree who decides he does not want to let his leaves go when all of the other trees do.  He holds onto them year after year. The story is a simple one with a big message about changing and letting go. It is told in a soft, non-threatening way as we see the difficult decision Little Tree has to eventually make.

This story is one that is good for all ages. Just like the Otis books, children of all ages will have an entry point, come to love Little Tree and understand the author's message.  This would also make a fabulous gift book as it is one that I am sure will be one of those books that children beg to have  read  to them over and over!

You can hear Loren Long talk more about his new book here:

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this one in person. I love Loren Long and Otis.

    http://buildinglifelongreaders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read this. What a great concept for a character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems really creative and fun! Will have to check this one out. Nature and children's books sure do go hand in hand don't they?

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.