Monday, February 13, 2017

This Land is Our Land: A History of American Immigration



Mary Lee and I attended the American Library Association Mid-Winter conference last month. It was a great experience and of course, I came home with so many books to add to my to-be-read stack. Following the awards announcements on Monday morning, there is an annual session for the YALSA Morris and Nonfiction award winners. Someone suggested that we attend the session and was it a treat!  We were able to hear all of the Morris and Nonfiction winners speak for a few minutes about their work. Then we received some of the books for autographing.

One of the books that had been on my radar was This Land is Our Land by Linda Barrett Osborne.  I have spend the last few weeks reading this, a little bit at a time, and am so glad that I did.

This book is a comprehensive history of immigration in the United States.  The Table of Contents shows all that is explored in the book.

  

It was an interesting and important read during this time in our country.  I am so glad that I read it and I have a better understanding of the issues surrounding immigration. It seems like an important read for everyone.  I don't often purchase books that I can't use in my classroom but I am so glad I bought this one. It is a boo that belongs in every middle school and high school libraries (many reviews say grades 6-10).

When I talked to the author during the autograph line she mentioned how interesting it was to be working on this book at this time (she started long before many of the current issues.)  She hoped that both teens and adults would read this book as there was so much that she had researched and wanted to share. I agree completely.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this one! I just put it on hold at the library (which could lead to ordering myself a copy as it often does). I'm really excited to read this one with my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this as part of the CYBILS judging, and I really, really liked it too. I think I would have found it mildly interested a year or two ago, but right now, it's vital, and I want everyone to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.