Friday, December 22, 2006

Poetry Friday for Christmas

One of my family's most beloved Christmas Eve traditions was Mom reading us the Christmas story from the Bible and Dad reading us THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. I can still hear his voice when I read it.

Here are my favorite parts:

A Visit from St. Nicholas
by Clement Clarke Moore

.
.
.
The moon, on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
Gave the luster of midday to objects below;
.
.
.
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky;
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.
.
.
.

And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
.
.
.
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”

2 comments:

  1. I read that to my son tonight. I wish we had a prettier edition--ours is some random cheapo paperback--but he didn't seem to mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:50 AM

    Ani and I have been reading the poem all month in our board book version. I'm so sad to be putting it away soon.
    Okay -- maybe we'll leave it out a couple of more days . . . .

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.