Sunday, December 31, 2006

Top 5-o-rama, Day 5

For today's FINAL Top 5 we feature:

Top 5 Book-Related Audio Experiences for 2006

Mary Lee:
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (audio book)
I listened to this during my "time travel phase" this year, and it was more satisfying, creepy, eerie, and possible...maybe than the others. First audio book I've listened to that has sound effects.

March by Geraldine Brooks (audio book)
This was from my "Little Women phase" this year. It was fascinating to get this rich back history on one of the most invisible characters in Little Women.

The Writer's Almanac, Garrison Keillor (podcast)
My daily dose of poetry and literary history.

PoetryFoundation.org (podcast)
My weekly dose of indepth poetry. This is how I found Kay Ryan, one of my new favorite poets!

The Princeton Review Vocab Minute (podcast)
These are brilliant nuggets that teach vocabulary in a funfunfun way!


Franki:

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell (audiobook)
A fascinating look at decision making and thinking.


Author Conversation: Peter Johnston
A great interview with the author of CHOICE WORDS about teachers and decision-making.

The First Annual CYBILS by Kelly and Anne
So exciting to be part of this!


Every Day: The Guatemala Song by Anna Huckabee Tull
A great song about a child born in Guatemala and adopted by parents far away. I've shared this one with many of our friends in the adoption community.

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
(Okay so I listened to this one in 2005, but the audiobook was sooo good that I had to include it!)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:30 PM

    Hey, I listened to March on audiobook also!

    While I liked it, I liked the character of Mrs March so much better than Mr March that I wish we had more from her POV. (Seriously, I was probably overreacting, but when it got to the part about how it was better to feed his family less (um, I think this was the part where he decided 2 meals were better? or no milk is good for you? I got so pissed at him and thought, hey, I know your girls adore you but get a job to feed them!) Someone real enough that you yell at? Always good. But Mrs March...man, much too little of her! An impressive woman.

    And it amuses me that this is basically a legit form of fanfiction.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.