Friday, March 13, 2009

Poetry Friday: What I Believe

by Michael Blumenthal

I believe there is no justice,
but that cottongrass and bunchberry
grow on the mountain.

I believe that a scorpion's sting
will kill a man,
but that his wife will remarry.

I believe that, the older we get,
the weaker the body,
but the stronger the soul.

The rest is here, including my favorite part:

"I believe in destiny.
And I believe in free will."

Tricia has the round up this week at The Miss Rumphius Effect.


  1. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.

  2. This is so true.

  3. I thought about posting this one last week! Thanks for sharing it.

  4. Wow, what a beautiful poem. I sure hope it's true about the soul getting stronger . . .

  5. This poem makes me kinda sad: no justice, being pulled down, nobody by your side. But I am glad he does offer glimpses of hope: in being comforted by air, and being pulled by gentleness.

  6. Mary Lee,

    Being a sixty-something--I'd say the following is my favorite part of the poem:

    "I believe that, the older we get,
    the weaker the body,
    but the stronger the soul."

    I like the use of repetition in the poem. A great selection for Poetry Friday.

  7. Amazing sculpture and thoughful poem. I like the stanza about the darkness.

  8. Wow,a great poem. I am glad you shared it with us. Where is that sculture?

  9. Jone,

    The sculpture is outside the Phoenix Convention Center. Lots of great art in and around their convention center -- very fun!

  10. Wow. This is my favorite poem I've read in weeks. The best part:

    I believe that, when all
    the clocks break,
    time goes on without them.

    Love that. Thanks for sharing!

  11. There's a beauty and balance in this that invites re-reading. Glad to have discovered it.

  12. Now that is quite a lot to believe. But I do believe it, too. (I came from Black-Eyed Susan's.)


We welcome your contribution to the conversation!