Friday, March 19, 2010

I'm Gonna Verse You!


POETRY MONTH

I'll verse you in checkers,
I'll verse you in chess.
It's me versus you
to see who's the best.

I'll verse you with verses
I'll write one a day
It's me versus verses:
You observe while I play.

by Mary Lee Hahn, copyright 2010


I can't quite believe I'm going to do this: I'm challenging myself to write a poem a day about teaching and/or learning during Poetry Month (April). If so many of you can do a Slice of Life every day in March, surely I can write something that will pass for poetry every day in April!

You can be a casual observer, you can join Franki and put on a cheerleading skirt, or you can verse me and write your own poem about teaching and/or learning. I'll post it here, or link to your post.


Stacy has the roundup today at Some Novel Ideas.

18 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! Looking forward to your verses :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poetry month challenge! I don't know about the cheerleading skirt, but I'm happy to wave pompoms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lee--

    Good luck with your original poem-a-day plan for April!

    Three cheers for poetry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lee,

    What a wonderful start to the poem-a-day challenge.

    Good luck!

    Laura Evans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Looking forward to reading your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go for it, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! Good luck. Did you write the one here?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Lee I am with you but not necessarily about teaching. I have been writing 30 poems the month of April for the last 2 years. Glad to have company. Yay for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Jules, today's poem is an original! (I guess I should take credit...off to do that now!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Lee--have fun! In 2009 I challenged myself to write a poem a day for the year. I mostly write haiku, so it's not as daunting as it seems. I ended up the year with more than 365 poems (some days I wrote extra), and, I decided to continue the challenge in 2010. I'm happy to say I'm still going...

    (Probably a good 80% of what I wrote was crap! But the other 20% I can truly say I'm proud of!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a knock-out poem, Mary Lee! Good luck with your challenge (oh, the pain...oh, the joy....)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love loving this Mary Lee!!! Looking forward to you daily doses of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love love loving this Mary Lee!!! Looking forward to you daily doses of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hee. Love the poem. Can't wait to see more in April---30 days of Mary Lee! w00t!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I will follow you and looking forward to verses

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love you poem and love the idea for April. The March Slicing is my first writing challenge and I must say that a daily poem for April sounds tempting too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary Lee, I may just take you up on your "challenge". Can I write a poem each day in April?? You've never led me astray, so I'm considering it....

    Whether I do - or I don't - I'll be looking forward to your verses each day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW!! A poem a day?!! I am barely keeping up with the Slice of Life Challenge. I will put on the cheerleading skirt for you and maybe give a poem or two a try!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your contribution to the conversation!