Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary by Jeff Kinney


We are having a Selections Book Fair at our school this week. What great timing because today, the newest book-THE WIMPY KID MOVIE DIARY by Jeff Kinney was released! Love having a hot-off-the-press book! Especially this one.

I have to admit that I have not read all of the books in this series. To keep up with reading for a K-5 library, I tend to only read 1-2 books in most series. I've read one to two and enjoyed them. But this book is different and I think it is my absolute favorite!

This is not really a book about Greg. Not totally. Instead, in this book, Jeff Kinney tells about the process of turning his book into the upcoming DIARY OF A WIMPY KID movie. I have not yet read the book--it just arrived at 2:30 Tuesday. But, I did spend lots of time looking through it and I am really excited about the possibilities.

To have a resource like this about how a movie is made--what could be better? I have been doing a bit with movie-making, stop motion, etc. in the library and kids are doing amazing things. This new Wimpy Kid book will be a fun addition to the things we know about movie-making.

The book begins at the beginning and how Jeff Kinney created the book. Actual journal pages and drawings are included. It also tells the story of how the actor who plays Greg, got the part. Then the story goes on from there.

This book is packed--199 pages packed--with color photos, pages from scripts, call sheets, Jeff Kinney's illustrations and more. Whether you are a fan of The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series or not, this is a GREAT book!

So far, my favorite pages are pages 40-43 where we learn the secret of the moldy cheese in the movie. I won't give away the movie secret but you will definitely want to read those pages soon after you get this book.

I am excited to dig into this book and read it cover to cover. So many great pieces to share with kids about the characters, the process of this movie and movie-making in general. I imagine we'll see a lot of transfer from this book to the kinds of possibilities our kids see in their own movie making.

2 comments:

  1. Normally, I would not even think to look at a book like this one because it seems like a bunch of sham marketing (I did love the series, however, and am pretty disappointed that the movie won't be animated). But, I will check it out now, because I am curious about the process of turning the books into a movie.
    Thanks again!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:19 PM

    I saw the movie and thought it was great. I just heard that he is going to be on a local radio station. If you are interested, following is the information to tune in.

    Ron Morris' The American Entrepreneur
    Thursday, April 8th @ 5pm
    Listen Live at www.TAEradio.com

    This should be pretty interesting. I hope that he tells his story, it would be nice to learn more about the man behind the books. Hey, I may even be able to call and actually talk to him (wishful thinking, but its worth a try, LOL)!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.