Monday, March 15, 2010

I CAN HELP by David Hyde Costello

I picked up I CAN HELP by David Hyde Costello at Cover to Cover yesterday. What a great book for new readers. I am always looking for books that new readers can read on their own but I am picky about them. I want the story to be good and the pictures to be important and I want these simple beginning books to be books worth reading. Well, this one certainly is.

The book is filled with simple, repetitive text. On each page, an animal needs help and another animal offers to help. The book is filled with simple dialogue between characters. For example, when the monkey is falling from the tree:
Uh-oh. I am falling
I can help.
Thank you, giraffe

This is a great book. Illustrations tell a great story and the surprise ending made me laugh out loud. I just wasn't expecting it and it is very cute!

This is a great book for reading aloud to young children and also for K-1 classrooms. Perfect for kids just learning to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.