Tuesday, November 15, 2011

SWIRL BY SWIRL by Joyce Sidman

Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature
by Joyce Sidman
illustrated by Beth Krommes
Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, 2011
review copy provided by the publisher

I am so looking forward to hearing Joyce Sidman speak at NCTE this week. She's the featured speaker at the Children's Literature Assembly Breakfast on Sunday and one of the poets speaking at the CLA Master Class on Saturday afternoon. I will have the chance to meet her in an informal gathering as well. I'll try not to swoon.

Her new book, SWIRL BY SWIRL, is a rhyming picture book that explores the many things a spiral does in nature. Each page has Beth Krommes' characteristic wood engraving illustrations (see one here, on Beth's website).

SWIRL BY SWIRL is a gorgeous, thought-provoking book. I will connect the spirals in nature to the spiral of time found in Steve Jenkins' book JUST A SECOND (reviewed last week) and GROWING PATTERNS: FIBONACCI NUMBERS IN NATURE (reviewed last year).

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE this book! I am so sad that I will miss the get together at NCTE with ya'll. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.