Friday, August 17, 2012

The Poetry Friday Anthology


The Poetry Friday Anthology: Poems for the School Year with Connections to the Common Core
compiled by Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong
Pomelo Books, 2012 -- official release date September 1

The PFA by the numbers:

218 previously-unpublished poems by
75 poets.
36 poems for each grade level K-5 -- one for each week of the school year.
5 quick tips for each poem: bringing the poem to life, ways to read the poem with your students, open ended discussion prompts, a specific language arts or poetry skill that fits the poem, and a connection to another poem in the anthology or a different poetry book.
6 grade levels, all sharing poetry on the same theme every week throughout the year. The Week 1 poem in each grade level is related to the theme of "School." Week 8, where you will find my poem (squee!!!) "Bluejay Sings Two Different Songs," has the theme "In the Air." Week 26, K-5, is "Nonsense" week. Let's plan ahead for that one!
PLUS lots of poetry resources, and a special nod to Poetry Friday in the Kidlitosphere.

Teachers, you will want this book. You will need this book. You will USE this book.



Three cheers for Poetry Friday -- on the blogs, in the book, and coming soon to classrooms across the country!!

As for the roundup...I'll put together an informal one HERE. Don't worry about sending me links. I'll do a Google blog search and find you!


14 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrapped up all those great features so succinctly, Mary Lee! It's a terrific resource, which I'm crowing about today, too. Or, rather, I'm singing about it like your wonderful blue jay. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooohoooo--so excited about this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the first comment did not explain "it" well enough :)

    Hooray for "Bluejays Sing Two Different Songs"
    Only wish I could have kept the book when I was looking at it with you, but I will be ordering my own in September. I will join you on Week 26 for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, CAN'T WAIT to read your poem, Mary Lee! Such a wonderful resource, even just for parents or homeschooling moms or even authors like me who only teach occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be a great book, and resource as you said. Congratulations on your poem, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Teachers you will want . . . need . . . USE this book": that quote is the STUFF of dreams! Thank you, Mary Lee!! It's right up there with what Allan Wolf wrote, which was 100% Allan Wolf: "Slickety."

    I am very curious to see which weekly theme becomes the favorite of kids and teachers. I think the Nonsense week (Week 26) with X.J. Kennedy's "Armadillo" and Pat Lewis's hippo-potato-mus might become the favorite of kids, but I think teachers will really embrace Week 22 (A Kinder Place). Eileen Spinelli's "Poem for a Bully" inspired us to create that category; I think it's a poem that will really resonate with teachers (and observant/sensitive kids).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see this with your poem in it -- and the poems of so many PF friends and favorite poets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:00 PM

    I can't wait to get this! Happy dance for you. Here's my post as Andi hasn't put anything up yet: http://wp.me/pG1xR-mw

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just ordered mine from Amazon Italy and cannot WAIT to see it. Congrats on your poem, Mary Lee. I love your breakdown of the book - truly a labor of love, and quite the educational feat, I might add. Yay, PF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks and sounds AWESOME! Congrats to all my P.F. friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited about this anthology and getting more poetry into the hands of kids and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just heard about this from Lorie Ann Grover. So fantastic! Congratulations to all involved!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to have this in my classroom and give it as a fabulous gift to my fabulous teacher friends!
    Go Mary Lee! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.