Friday, March 15, 2013

Poetry Friday



THE DANCE OF LIFE

Oak,
not mobile,
chaperones,

roots tapping
the season's
beat.



© Mary Lee Hahn, 2013



It's been an amazing poetry week for me. My poem using CAIRN is in a WON a neck-and-neck race with Lori Degman's using CLAQUE in the March Madness 2013 poetry tournament. I'll get my next word tonight, and guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!!

I was interviewed for an Education Week article about poetry in "the Common Core Era." When you share space in an article with Georgia Heard, and Joyce Sidman comments on it on FaceBook, you've got to sit back and have a little wow moment.

I'm starting to gear up for IRA in San Antonio at the end of April:



And, I'm playing a fun little line-by-line game of poetry email ping-pong with today's roundup hostess, Jone, at Check it Out. More on that when we decide it's ready to share.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:00 AM

    Love the image of the roots tapping the beat. They need to tap a little faster here in CT! Congratulations on all the well-deserved accolades!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is all very exciting. What a fun moment for you to pause and reflect on a lot of accomplishment. Congrats!
    I love the idea of the season having a beat, it is so true. The pulse of spring is rising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The article was interesting, Mary Lee. What a good week you've had! This poem is your wonderful "just the right words" style. Makes me think of Tolkien's trees that awakened. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful poem, Mary Lee. Good luck with MM, and congrats on the article! You have so arrived :). . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:54 PM

    Lovely poem. Congrats and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely poem, Mary Lee. Congrats on the article and IRA and all the good stuff you've got going on! I loved your CAIRN poem, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your round 1 win, Mary Lee! It was a nail-biter right up to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful poem, Mary Lee. Enjoy all your "wow moments". =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheering for so many reasons tonight at home! I totally agree with your "wow" moment but I felt like that at Dublin Lit Conference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats and super yea for WOW moments! Keep going girl, we love your words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a week! I'm saving the article for tomorrow, and loving your poem today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview, Mary Lee! (And congratulations on the WOW!) I couldn't agree with you more about the CCSS and poetry. Short, complex, rich texts (that's poetry!) are perfect for close readings and vocabulary development.

    Great poem, too! I love the lines:
    roots tapping
    the season's
    beat.

    …though the poem's shape is pretty cool, too! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.