Monday, July 14, 2014

Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff


Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff.  is a MUST READ in 2014. It is so good that you should rearrange your TBR stack and put this one on top. I actually think it is so good, that you should read it even if you don't read much middle grade fiction.  I can't think of anyone I know who shouldn't put it at the top of their stack.

I am a HUGE Lisa Graff fan.  I think her books are PERFECT middle grade novels. There are not many authors who can write for that age with enough depth to actually change the readers who read the books, and also in a way that it is accessible to 9-11 year olds. Lisa Graff is one of those authors.
I loved The Thing About Georgie when it came out years ago and I have loved everyone one of Graff's books, especially Umbrella Summer and The Life and Crimes of Bernetta Wallflower .

Absolutely Almost may be Lisa Graff's best book yet (even though her others are amazing!). The book is about a 5th grader named Albie who is not so good at anything. He struggles with lots of things, pretty much everything, including learning.  Albie is a character you love from the very start.  He is a great kid, someone you'd love to hang out with.  He has so many strengths and his new babysitter sees all of them. Albie comes to learn lots about himself in this book. I checked around on the web and pretty much everyone loves this book. If I haven't convinced you to read it, here are some other reviews:

Review by Betsy Bird

Carol's Corner

Barbara O'Connor

Two Reflective Teachers

Debbie Alvarez

And read all of the Lisa Graff books that you haven't read while you are at it. I love them all!

7 comments:

  1. After hearing so many people rave about it at nErDcampMI, I put it on my to-read list, but your review made me move it to to the top -- I placed a hold for it at the public library this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not convinced that my readers will vibrate to the idea of a nanny for the summer. I think this is one of those books that fifth graders may lke, but sixth graders may not. Still debating. Thanks for your review, plus the list. I always like to hear what others think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny based on Betsy and Carol I rearranged by TBR. So far it looks like my first read aloud for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Almost is an absolute winner. Loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know, I ADORE this book. Lisa knows kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just posted about it today, Franki. It is a wonderful book. I can't wait to share it with students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:49 AM

    Just purchased it on Audible. After your review and comments, I have to read it today! I will multi-task!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.