Today, we are blogging live from Day 2 of nErDcampmi! This is the 2nd annual event and it is one of our favorite days of the year! Colby Sharp and his wife Alaina Sharp and The Nerdy Book Club gang invented this camp--an edcamp focused on Literacy. Brilliant. You may have read about how awesome it was on our blog last year! All day, we'll be adding photos and thoughts to this blog post, live, as they happen! You can also follow nerdcampmi on Twitter today #nerdcampmi.
8:31 a.m. We are getting ready for the Opening of Day 2 #nerdcampmi.
|Hugh MacLeod Gapingvoid.com|
Babymouse and Arnie the Doughnut join us at Nerdcamp!
• Letting kids follow their passions. A little time each week pays off big.
• RULE: You may not do something that is easily google-able.
• The point is to make something that’s not already there. CREATE. Not just nonfiction research.
• Every student is a genius. Give time to share.
• Some kids want to be told what to learn; don’t want to have to think. #geniushour needs brainstorming and support.
• Builds lifelong learners.
• It’s all about the question. (Thank you, Brenda for A More Beautiful Question: The Power of Inquiry to Spark Breakthrough Ideas )
BREAK: BEST BOOKS OF 2014
Even though we did not go to the session on Best Books of 2014, Katie Muhtaris created a great padlet for all of us compiling great books discussed! You can access it here! Get ready to spend some money on books once you click:-)
10:45 Session on Authentic Technology in the Literacy Workshop
|Mary Lee, Josie and Karen get ready for the PM Idea Board creation!|
1:15 Session: Nerdy Math Club (F) with and @katiestrawser and @brianwyzlic
@techieteacher10session notes are here
2:30 Math Workshop with @darcyJobe and @smithand1015
- Number Routine
- Work sites/Problem Solving Opportunities
- Reflection/Exit Slip
- Jen Wagner -- Projects by Jen
- Pernille Ripp -- Global Read Aloud
- World Read Aloud Day -- free skypes with authors
- Kate Messner -- has a list of authors who will skype and a list for WRD
- Peter Reynolds -- Dot Day