Thursday, September 29, 2016

Poetry Friday -- You Are There


photo via unsplash

You Are There
by Erica Jong

You are there.
You have always been
there.
Even when you thought
you were climbing
you had already arrived.
Even when you were
breathing hard,
you were at rest.
Even then it was clear
you were there.

Not in our nature
to know what
is journey and what
arrival.
Even if we knew
we would not admit.
Even if we lived
we would think
we were just
germinating.

To live is to be
uncertain.
Certainty comes
at the end.



I have lived the last two weeks at full tilt. Life has come at me non-stop. It has felt like perpetual motion, but perhaps Jong is right. Perhaps it was just two week's worth of intense arrival. I was definitely there, even though I wasn't here to comment on your posts. 

I'm looking forward to a slower period of arrival. I'm looking forward to visiting the roundup this week and seeing what everyone's up to.

Thanks for your patience with my silence.

The roundup the week is at Karen Edmisten's blog. The one with the "Shockingly Clever Title."


19 comments:

  1. I understand full tilt. Makes me think of a pinball machine and bouncing from here to there trying to make some points. Here's to Friday and celebration of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lee, we all need time to step back and unwind in preparation for a back in the game stance. I love this line, "To live is to be uncertain," especially in light of recent tragedies in the news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary Lee, We all need to opt out, re-shift our priorities or juggle real life sometimes. I hope that some good mood and vibes find you and wrap you in a week-long happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lee, I'm pretty sure you posted this poem just for me! What a wonderful reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another reminder to shift my lens...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Even when you thought you were climbing, you had already arrived." What an incredibly helpful mind-shift. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're entering a slower period.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:27 AM

    Breathe deep and absorb the rhythm of the words as you do the Poetry Friday rounds, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being there, having arrived, sounds like a good thing, Mary Lee. Enjoy the weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending you good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear you're able to take a deep breath and slow down a little. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  11. An intense period of ...arrival. I like that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. With little certainty, but due diligence, we carry on. That's really all we can do! Nice to know somewhere in the ways of the universe, our actions are being noted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, I owe my fourth category of septercets to you. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful. Enjoy your well deserved moments of rest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, man! That is one amazing poem! I thinki may post a copy on my refrigerator to stop, read and think every once in a while

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back to "here." These lines intrigue me in the poem you shared:

    "Not in our nature
    to know what
    is journey and what
    arrival."

    That is an interesting thought. And hope the coming days give you time to catch your breath.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've been doing some fishing? I trust that was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary Lee, hope you are enjoying your Sunday. Enjoy the journey in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've reread this five times over two days. It's an important message for adults but I think it's a message I share with parents at the start of the school year also. Dewey once said, for students - "school is not preparation for life, school is life.

    Happy un-tilting.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.