Thursday, June 15, 2017

Laughing Out Loud



If Apples Had Teeth
by Shirley Glaser
illustrated by Milton Glaser
Enchanted Lion Books, August, 2017
review copy provided by the publisher

You will want this book. It might change the way you look at the world.

Some of the IFs are practical:
"If apples had teeth, they would bite back."
"If a kangaroo was fond of you, he could carry your books home from school."

Some of the IFs rhyme or have alliteration:
"If a rhinoceros wore a sweater, he would look a lot better."
"If horses had hat racks, they would be reindeer."

But some of the IFs make you drop your chin:
"If eggs were made of glass, you could count your chickens before they hatched."
"If trees were pink, they would be nevergreens."

Did I mention the art? Very whimsical and fun!

Did I mention that this is a reprint from 1960, a year that may or may not have significance in my life? Here's a bit from Enchanted Lion about why they've brought this book back:
"Enchanted Lion's catalog currently pursues three different acquisition routes: origination, translation, and reissues. It feels important, especially in this moment, to bring back books that might otherwise be lost to time. We've published some treasures, including three André François books, this Glaser book, and our upcoming Jacqueline Ayer books. We're currently looking at another Glaser book and have begun working with out of print Remy Charlip books, which we're thrilled about. 
IF is a book that needed to be brought back. It's playful, smart, beautiful...we're so glad it hasn't been lost.

In terms of the art, the illustrations are hand drawn ink illustrations. A part of why they're so vivid and visually stunning is due to Pantone spot coloring process."
Excuse me while I open my notebook and see if I can write some IFs of my own!


7 comments:

  1. Write away I can't wait to see an If poem on a Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, teehee. I want this one. Need these smiles.
    Goes on The. List!
    If blogs were people, I'd hug this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went first to Poetry Friday and zipped back here ( because you told me to and I always listen to you, Mary Lee)...glad I did! I'll have such fun with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun book and post, I'm familiar and fond of Milton Glaser's work, didn't know about Shirley though and I'm always interested in finding out about women in the Arts. Thanks for sharing this book Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:06 AM

    So much for my no new books vow! Thanks for sharing this, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder now if this book inspired Sarah Perry's "If," which I've loved for years too. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/944661.If_

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Enchanted Lions books. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.