Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Slice of Life -- Overheard Last Week


Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

We were taking a restroom break after the whole-school Town Hall meeting on Friday. Most of the class stood quietly in the hall, waiting for their friends to finish up and I asked if anyone knew what time it was. One boy looked at his watch and said, "11:11."

"Ooh!" I said. "Everyone close your eyes and make a wish!" When we opened our eyes, I exclaimed, "I wasted my wish! I should have wished for (insert name here) to have a successful surgery without pain!" (She had a blocked tear duct and a painful-looking swelling under her eye that wasn't responding to medication.)

On my right, (insert name here) chimed up brightly, "It's okay! That's what I wished for!"

On my left, (insert name here) asked, "What did you wish for, Ms. Hahn?"

"I wished for the rest of the school year to be as wonderful as these first three days," I replied.

And he said, "That's what I wished for, too!"

Joy.




Thank you, Two Writing Teachers, for hosting Slice of Life on Tuesdays.


12 comments:

  1. That makes me happy, too! Thanks for sharing this slice, Mary Lee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me almost want to be back in the classroom. So delightful to begin your new year with students like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful that you started the year off with joy. I wish for you the same. Let the merriment continue, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And so another joyous year with Ms. Hahn begins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that final response is so precious! I hope it's a marvelous year for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! How wonderful that you've already created such a sense of joy and community amongst your students!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we are all wishing for a great school year. I love imagining this conversation. Yes, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet slice. I love hearing the connectedness in the voices at the discovery of common wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The joy! The pleasure! The fun! You will have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was so sweet! I wish that for all of you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you and your kiddos will have a wonderful year! Because you are a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.