Friday, September 22, 2006

Poetry Friday!



I found a fun, new poetry book that I thought I'd share. It is called DON'T FORGET YOUR ETIQUETTE! THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO MISBEHAVIOR. ("With advice from Miss Information"--get it?!) So, this is a cute book of poems for kids that talks all about ways to misbehave. It is illustrated by Nadine Bernard Westcott so if you know her other books, you know that her illustrations always add fun to the text.

Here is a stanza from a poem called "The Etiquette of Dress"

Tuck your tie into your belt
And wear it as a tail.
Put your undies on your head
And wear them as a veil.

I think my favorite part of the book is the placement of a quote above each poem. These are serious quotes about manners from manners books and experts. (Miss Manners, Emily Post, etc.). The quote above "The Etiquette of Dress" says, "You never get a second chance at a first impression, and a first impression is often based on how you look." Emily Post's Teen Etiquette. The brilliance in the choice of quotes is quite amusing:-)

I think kids will LOVE this book. I think MOST parents will too, but after reading the link from Read Roger, who knows how some parents will react to the humor.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:49 PM

    From the excerpt, it sounds like something my son (2nd grade) will love! Thanks. I will look for this one.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.