Friday, June 11, 2010

Poetry Friday -- Te Deum


Te Deum
by Charles Reznikoff

Not because of victories
I sing,
having none,
but for the common sunshine,
the breeze,
the largess of the spring.

(the rest of the poem is here at Poets.org)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

What is te deum?

n.
A hymn of praise to God sung as part of a liturgy.

[From Late Latin Tē Deum (laudāmus), You, God, (we praise), the opening words of the hymn : Latin tē, you + Latin deum, accusative of deus, god.]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Today, Kelly Polark has the Poetry Friday roundup.

(I'm noticing how much "te deum" sounds like "today"... today -- te deum, today -- te deum ... take away from that whatever deep and meaningful message you would like...)

Speaking of roundups, we're getting close to the end of our schedule. So close, in fact, that a couple of people have already stepped up for August (which, as teachers know, will be here before we blink so we need to live for today/te deum/carpe diem). If you'd like to host one of the remaining 2010 round ups, let me know in the comments which week works for you (or by email at mlhahn AT earthlink DOT net). Once the schedule is set, all you have to do is ask for the html code so that you, too, can post the schedule in your sidebar.

AUGUST
6 Laura Shovan at Author Amok
13 Zsofia McMullin at Stenhouse
20 Laura Evans at Teach Poetry K-12
27 Kate Coombs at Book Aunt

SEPTEMBER
3 Susan Taylor Brown at Susan Writes
10 Anastasia Suen at Picture Book of the Day
17 Elaine Magliaro at Wild Rose Reader
24 Karen Edmisten at The Blog With the Shockingly Clever Title

OCTOBER
1 Jennie Rothschild at Biblio File
8 Carol at Carol's Corner
15 Terry Doherty at Scrub-a-Dub-Tub
22 Mary Ann Scheuer at Great Kid Books
29 Toby Speed at The Writer's Armchair

NOVEMBER
5 Carmela Martino at TeachingAuthors
12 Liz Garton Scanlon at Liz in Ink
19 Diane Mayr at Random Noodling
26 Jone MacCulloch at Check It Out

DECEMBER
3 Tricia Stohr-Hunt at The Miss Rumphius Effect
10 Jama Rattigan at jama rattigan's alphabet soup
17 Amy VanDerwater at The Poem Farm
24 Mary Lee Hahn at A Year of Reading
31 Linda Kulp at Write Time

15 comments:

  1. Mary Lee,
    This is a beautiful poem. And a gorgeous picture (yours?). The poem reminds me of one of my all time. all time, all time favorites, "To Be of Use" by Marge Piercy. I'm going to print it out and tape it somewhere to read while I'm packing boxes today.

    I'm glad to host anytime in October or November. Or whenever.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my photo. And yes, "the day's work done as well as I am able" definitely rings of Marge Piercy.

    Good luck with the work you have ahead of you today. Remember to lift with your legs...or make your boys do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lee,

    Thanks for organizing the Poetry Friday Roundup schedule.

    I'd be happy to do the roundup on any of the following dates:

    - September 17, 24
    - October 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
    - November 5, 12
    - December 3, 10, 17

    ReplyDelete
  4. It also reminds me of Naomi Shihab Nye's poem "Famous": http://poetryoutloud.org/poems/poem.html?id=177521

    I can take August 6 if no one else has already claimed it.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the poem! I think I can host on December 10th :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, lovely, lovely poem. We usually sing te deums, and I can imagine this set to music.

    If you have trouble filling a week, will you let me know? I've never hosted, and my life is usually too scattershot to do so, but you know, family. Gotta help a Cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Lee, Glad you are feeling like praising. Wonderful music in that poem and clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Mary Lee -- if no one else has taken August 27th, I will.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yee-Haw! I put out the call for Roundup hosts here and on the Kidlitosphere Yahoo group, then spent a couple of hours away from the computer for PT and a swim, and when I came back the schedule was almost filled (with only a couple of people who wanted the same date...I went with first come into my email inbox, first pick...if you didn't get the date you hoped for, look over the ones that are left and see if there's another you can do.)

    As always, it's fun to see how many "old timers" and "newbies" are still willing to step up and host our weekly poetry party! Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd be happy to host on November 19 at Random Noodling. --Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary Lee, I'd like to host on Dec. 31. It will be my first time hosting, so I'm a little nervous. We'll be on winter break so it's a good time for me to give it a go.
    Thanks, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary Lee,

    It is a great praise poem! Today and every day we need a little praise poem! Just because the sun shines every day, doesn't make it less of a miracle.

    Laura Evans

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just sent an email to Kidlitosphere offering to host, but I see I'm WAAAY too late! But if someone who's done it many times wants to take a break in late July, that time would work for me.

    Your te deum is just what I need this morning, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary Lee!

    I love the line "the largess of the spring." Very nice. And I love bringing a little Latin into our day!

    I can take the last open date (December 17th), if it's still open.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tabatha and Heidi,

    I'll jot you down as "first dibs-ers" when we do the Jan-July schedule! I can't believe how fast it filled up!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.