Tuesday, September 16, 2008

WILD BOARS COOK by Meg Rosoff and Sophie Blackall



I have been trying to catch up on "funny books". I don't always tend to read those books that are just plain fun. But with my new job as school librarian, I think it is very important that we laugh in the library. And that we laugh a lot. So, I have been on the lookout for funny books. My friend, Bill at Literate Lives has been a huge help with this. I think I am getting better at finding books that kids might find to be amusing.

As a classroom teacher, I looked for books to use as mentors for writing, books to use for comprehension minilesson, books that would meet the needs of different readers and writers in my classroom and books that I could use across the curriculum. We certainly read books for fun, but they weren't a priority for me when I was shopping. I just usually happened upon them. These days, I am trying to catch up on knowing more books like this.

I think one of the other librarians in the district shared this one in our last meeting and I just got my own copy. It is called WILD BOARS COOK and it is quite funny. The story is a sequel to the book MEET WILD BOARS which I haven't read yet--but I am anxious to do so sometime soon.

The 4 wild boars are great characters. It is fun that their names rhyme (Boris, Morris, Horace, and Dorris) but the way they spend their time is pretty fun too. They are not likable creatures but you find yourself loving them anyway. In this story, the boars are hungry so they make a magnificent pudding. It is amazing to me how much you get to know each character in such a short text. The book is pure fun but it is also filled with great writing, and a very satisfying ending. A great book all around.

Other reviews:
Publisher's Weekly
4IQREAD

An interview with Sophie Blackall at Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Franki-
    I want to buy every book you and Mary Lee post! Now if only I had a money tree in the basement!

    It would be fun to start a list of one hundred funny books, kind of like the one hundred cool teacher thing!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before the big wind storm and power outage, this was my read aloud in THE PIT! The kids were loving it and laughing out loud. Obviously, I think it's important to have fun with the read alouds, and I encourage laughter in the libary!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.