Friday, November 21, 2008

Book Review from NCTE


I am in San Antonio attending the annual NCTE Convention. It is a GREAT convention and I am learning lots. I don't have time to write about so many of the great things I want to share but I do have time for a quick book review! The exhibits are full of new books and some ARCS. Today, I picked up a copy (ARC) of TEN DAYS AND NINE NIGHTS: AN ADOPTION STORY by Yumi Heo. I am always paying close attention to adoption books and this picture book is definitely one that we'll add to our collection.

This book is not our adoption story, but is is a great adoption story. Told in very simple text and gorgeous illustrations, this book follows a little girl (for 10 nights and nine days) as she waits for her new sister to arrive. Her mother leaves to pick up the baby on an airplane while the father and daughter stay home to get ready. Each day means less waiting and new things to do as excitement builds. The predictable pattern and the illustrations work together in a way to show how much is happening for both the family waiting at home and the mother and the new baby coming home.

At the end of the book, there is an author's note about her relationships with many families who had experienced adoption.

This is a great book. I think it is a great addition to any collection of books about adoption. It would also be a great book to give to any young child waiting for a new sibling. I will definitely add this one to the school library when it comes out--it looks like it is due out in May. I plan to get a copy right as soon as I can!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a perfect big brother/sister gift. I'm so jealous of all of you listening to great speakers and roaming the exhibit halls picking up ARC's while I'm in Denver cleaning house and driving carpools!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're having fun--can't wait to hear more. I'll definitely be checking this one out. I have a friend who just adopted her 2nd from Korea--the older siblings actual sister! Everyone is terribly happy so this sounds great, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing Yumi's art work. Thanks for this post. I'm going to go see if my library has it.

    Also: HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU BOTH!

    Jules
    7-Imp

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.