Friday, November 07, 2008

The Bill Martin Jr. Big Book of Poetry

A great new poetry anthology by Bill Martin is out. It is called THE BILL MARTIN JR. BIG BOOK OF POETRY. And it includes a forward by Eric Carle.  It is a great anthology including almost 200 great poems for kids.  The poems are divided into categories such as Animals, World of Nature, People and Places, Around the Year, School Time, Mother Goose and more.  You will see many of your favorite poets in the collection such as Aileen Fisher, Eve Merriam, Margaret Wise Brown, and Jack Prelutsky.  The illustrations are done by some of your favorite children's illustrators including Lois Ehlert, Steven Kellogg, Chris Raschka and Ashley Bryan.  This is more than a collection of poetry--it is a true celebration of some of the best poets and illustrators for children over the years.

This is a big book--almost 200 pages and  bit heavy to carry around.  It is FILLED with the best of poetry for kids of all ages.  I didn't even hesitate when I picked this one up to buy. I think kids will love it and I think it is organized in a way that teachers can use it easily to find poems that they want to share with students.  (It would probably make a great baby gift too!)

The round up this week is at Check It Out.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. This looks like a good Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I have to get my hands on this one! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so need to get a copy of this book, both for the poetry and the art. I'm a sucker for Carle anyway. Have you seen his illustrations for the poetry book Animals, Animals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for a good kids poetry book. My current favorite is A Family of Poems compiled by Caroline Kennedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great! I love Bill Martin, Jr and a foreward by Eric Carle, another favorite! What could be better? Looks like a must have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. I'm definitely checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Bill Martin, and I love most of your picks, but anthologies can sometimes overwhelm me. Because I trust you, I'll have to take a look at this one.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review -- I'll be looking for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CAn't wait to buy it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.