Sunday, January 04, 2009

Rhyming Dust Bunnies by Jan Thomas

So, of course I will buy any book that Jan Thomas writes from here on out. I loved WHAT WILL FAT CAT SIT ON and I loved THE DOGHOUSE even more. This new 2009 book, is not about the usual characters that Thomas writes about. This new book, RHYMING DUST BUNNIES is about 4 character who are dust bunnies...rhyming dust bunnies. They rhyme.

The illustrations in the book are clearly Jan Thomas's. Bright colors, black borders and great facial expressions. The book is square and easily recognizable as one of Thomas's. And as much as I was hoping for another story about Duck, Cow, Dog and Mouse, I loved reading about these dust bunnies.

First of all, who thinks of these things--dust bunnies as characters. And these dust bunnies are rhyming dust bunnies--well, kind of. Their names are Ed, Ned, Ted and Bob! And they rhyme ALL THE TIME! On each page, the dust bunnies are shouting out words that rhyme but Bob seems to be having trouble--he just isn't rhyming. But, don't worry. We find out at the end the reason for his unrhyming words.

Jan Thomas totally gets young children. She gets their humor. And she understands their needs as readers--she creates great books with pretty sophisticated humor. And she does it with great predictable text so that kids are quickly and easily engaged.

A fun book and another great one for early readers. The kid will be excited to hear this one read aloud and I am sure it will be a popular one in the library.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for Jan Thomas! I agree- her books are terrific. I can't wait to see this one- glad to hear it's another winner. She has another one coming out this year too- Can You Make A Scary Face? I noticed it on Amazon doing research last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! It's on order at my library, and I'm in line to check it out when it comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan Thomas rocks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family loves Jan Thomas books! My 6 year old daughter and I had A Birthday For Cow as our "Geisel pick." It's so much fun seeing her read Jan Thomas books - she really gets in to them. Even my 3rd grade nephew saw one sitting around, picked it up and said "this book is so funny" and read it quickly to himself.

    I love how thomas can accomplish so much with seemingly so little.

    Rhyming Dust Bunnies is waiting for me at the library right now and if its anything like previous ones, we'll soon have a copy of our won. I'm glad to read the good review.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.