Friday, January 02, 2009

Thinking About 21st Century Literacies

We visited imagechef.com today to create the visual that you see to the left. We were thinking that it would be great to tag all of our posts dealing with our thinking about 21st Century Literacies with something that would make it obvious to readers.  We figure that we have lots of threads going on on the blog--lots about books, the Newbery and teaching in general.  But we'll put this visual next to all of the posts that deal specifically with this 21st Century thinking. We imagine that the conversations will become more connected as time goes on, but for now, this is a way for us to organize the threads of our thinking and to highlight these posts for readers.  

For those of you who are also thinking about these issues, please feel free to copy this image and use it on your blog. Or you can put it in your sidebar to indicate that this is an area you are interested in thinking about.  We created it to share so that anyone interested could use it to tag related posts or whatever.  That way, we can connect our thinking between blogs and continue the conversation.

5 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see you exploring the 21st century literacy meme here. My question: Is there a need for a 21st century KID literacy, like there is with books? How would it be different from the grown-up version?

    Issues about internet filtering, identity management, leveled content, and I don't know what else, all suggest that there is a need to think about age-appropriate online instruction for classroom teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting point My thinking is focusing on How are things changing for me? and then What does that mean in terms of my teaching? Age appropriateness seems key no matter what. What does this mean for kids--what would be different and how does that play out? Will be interesting to see where people's thinking goes on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thank you for offering to let us use the image as well. I will probably use it as my students got laptops this year and I know that I am far from using them to their fullest capability, so it will be an area that I will be exploring quite a bit the rest of this year. I am excited to see your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice design.
    I have already added it to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. I think I will use the graphic too. There are so many interesting conversations happening now around 21st cen. literacies. Thanks for starting to pull us together.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.