Tuesday, March 17, 2009

11 BIRTHDAYS by Wendy Mass

I am a huge Wendy Mass fan.  I became hooked when I read JEREMY FINK AND THE MEANING OF LIFE.  I've finally read one of her new books, 11 BIRTHDAYS and I loved it too. 

Amanda and Leo are best friends. They were born on the same day, in the same hospital and have been best friends their whole lives.  But when they are 10, they have a misunderstanding and stop speaking to each other.  

I don't want to give too much of the story away so I gave you the basic set-up. This book is about friendship and consequences.  I see it as a great book for reading aloud to third and fourth grade. It would also make a great booktalk book for grades 3-4-5.  There is lots to talk about and so much that kids will be able to relate to when it comes to friendship issues and misunderstandings.  

The concept of the book is a fun one, the characters and their friendship is very believable.   Wendy Mass has a really amazing understanding of kids this age.   To me, this book seems to be for a bit younger audience than JEREMY FINK--more 3rd through 5th grades.

It is a fun read and one I am anxious to share with kids!

2 comments:

  1. I forgot you had this. :) Any chance I could get it back after break? It would be a good read aloud, and I'm looking to start a new one. Can't believe I forgot about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:46 PM

    I need something new. Thanks for the tip! (I liked Jeremy Fink, but it didn't seem right for reading to my fourth graders.)

    SAS

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.