Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire
by Suzanne Collins
ARC shared by Karen Terlecky (I'll put it back in the mail to you today, Karen!)
Scholastic, September 1, 2009

I read more than half of this book on the plane on my way home. Got so deeply involved that I refused the free soda and peanuts between St. Louis and Denver.

I have forced myself to spread the second half of the book out over the last two days because I didn't want it to end. I didn't want to begin the limbo that will remain until the third book comes out. Now that I'm there, in that limbo, I'm feeling a little like Katniss. Manipulated (betrayed?). Numb. Incredulous.

It has been fun to read the kind of book I can get lost in, here in my childhood home where I spent so many hours lost in books right there at the end of the couch where I finished CHASING FIRE.

And Collins is masterful in the way she leads you into her story and then, with turns of plot and deepenings of characters, won't let you go until the story spits you out at the end.

But now we're left with a year to think about love and loss, family and friends, rebellion and revolution. And Mockingjays.

5 comments:

  1. To be totally honest, ARC shared by Franki who loaned it to me. :) I just requested it back because I "hooked" my daughters on The Hunger Games, and now they're dying to read the next one, so thanks for the mailing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:15 PM

    I felt the same way at the end of it.

    It rocked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hunger games is sitting on my bookshelf. Your review is getting me excited to read it and the next one. When does the third one come out? Is this appropriate for my twelve year old?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I would recommend that you read HUNGER GAMES before you hand it to your 12 year-old. Same with CATCHING FIRE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this book--BUT I almost wish I hadn't read Hunger Games (which I adored) so that I could read the whole set (trilogy?) when it's complete. I can't remember the last time I just couldn't wait for "the next book."

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.