Monday, June 08, 2009

While You Were Shopping and Reading...

The first ever (first annual?) Ohio Casting For Recovery Fish-a-Thon took place Saturday, June 6 at the VOA Park near Cincinnati.

Melissa (pictured here) and I were the Past Participants team. She attended the 2008 retreat, and I attended in 2005.



Each of the 9 teams had balloons on a stake so they could be spotted around the lake, and a clipboard and a measuring tape to record catches.

Our clipboard didn't get much use, but we had a blast working on our casting, watching the ducks and ducklings,  and pretending we could land the 24" monster fish we could see but who could not be interested in our flies no matter how well we placed them. 






Here we are, measuring one of our five catches for the day. Yeah, I know. You're saying, "What fish?" 












That's why we took this picture so you could see the cute little bluegill that was silly enough to think my fly was real food!













So, we only caught 5 fish between the two of us in three hours of fishing, but if you divide our pledges by our fish, each of those fish was worth more than $200. 

That's right, together Melissa and I raised over $1000 in pledges for Ohio's Casting for Recovery program. The folks who supported us paid for one breast cancer survivor of "any age, any stage" to experience a Casting for Recovery weekend. One more survivor will come to Indian Bear Lodge alone and leave with a new group of friends who are fellow survivors. One more lady will experience the unique blend of a weekend of pampering, connecting with others, and learning fly fishing.

We were both diagnosed with breast cancer when we were relatively young, so we certainly appreciate all of the money that is raised for breast cancer research and education about early detection. But we are also both survivors, and we understand the need for programs like CFR that address the needs of those who have already had breast cancer.

Thank you to everyone who sponsored us, and an extra big shout-out to the Central Ohio Kidlitosphere Bloggers who supported us with their unique "bucks for books bought" pledges.

EDITED TO ADD...if I'm totaling correctly, you all raised $234 for CFR!!!!

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing program this is, and I love that you wore pink for the day!

    I got a little choked up reading this. So glad I could be a small part of helping someone else in need feel pampered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, you two! Even though I didn't participate, I was thinking of you during your marathon. Well, I thought of you on Sunday. That's me, always a bit late, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lee: I would like to send my donation as well. Where are we sending the checks? Please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CFR is wonderful; CFR/Ohio is terrific. We are blessed to have volunteers (organizers, coordinators, participants, supporters alike)who make the CFR/Ohio programs so great. Kudos to all!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.