Friday, August 27, 2010

Poetry Friday: Twitter Search Poem

I've searched every poem site I know for poems about voice (lost mine on the second day of school) or hot tea (I'm drinking some now, with lemon and honey and a little extra sumpin' to help me sleep).

Nothing spoke to me, so I invented a new poetry form: the Twitter Search Poem. (Googled it; can't find any. I claim the invention.)

Here's how I wrote my Twitter Search Poem: I searched "laryngitis" on Twitter. I wrote/found this poem using bits and pieces of actual recent Tweets:

How's Ur Voice Dear?
found on Twitter by Mary Lee Hahn

Feels like I've been hit by a bus,
Sounds like a chipmunk with laryngitis.

If I have laryngitis I will GET. CRAZY.
I just want to be able to speak again.

Even with laryngitis I WILL WIN.
I beamed laryngitis rays at him; I laryngitis you.

Right now I wish dogs could get laryngitis...
Can cats get laryngitis?

Skillful listening is the best remedy for
loneliness, loquaciousness, and laryngitis.


Kate has the Poetry Friday roundup this week at Book Aunt.

10 comments:

  1. You are a very clever gal! But laryngitis the first week of school? Yikes! Try a humidifier and cough syrup (it works even if you don't have a cough). Take care! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until now, I never would have considered Twitter to be an excellent resource for poets. But then again, what isn't?!?!

    Good news on the voice: none on Tuesday night/Wednesday, some (if I kept my voice in the lowest registers -- short vocal chords) on Thursday, and more today. I'm on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Creative and nicely done. You outdid yourself on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polite applause... what a fun poem!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that you lost your voice! Fingers crossed that you stay healthy from here on in.

    Love your originality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious, creative... Now when people ask "Why would you waste your time tweeting?" I have another answer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This poem is so creative, and I love it! Great idea! I've actually never gotten on Twitter, but now you have me intrigued. I hope you write more Twitter search poems in the future...and I hope you feel better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of a Twitter Poem! You've invented a cool new form. And this one is fun and quirky -- but of course, I'm not happy about your laryngitis, just impressed how you were able to turn that, coupled with no poems on the subject, into something fab and unique.

    Yes, this is why I should be in your class.

    *thunderous applause*

    Feel better soon (you'll have to postpone your opera performance)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Mary Lee. This is so cool ... and to repeat the 9 folks in front of me very creative. I never think to use Twitter as a search tool.

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a word for this, Mary Lee...brilliant! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.