Monday, February 27, 2012

It's Monday: What Are You Reading?


So, I haven't had time to read lots lately. But, the things i've read have been such fun. Here are some highlights!

I read Polly Horvath's new MR. AND MRS. BUNNY-DETECTIVES EXTRADINAIRE BY MRS. BUNNY.  It is absolutely HYSTERICAL. I LOVE Polly Horvath--I have ever since I read EVERYTHING ON A WAFFLE years ago.  I picked this one up on a whim because I was in a reading rut.  I found myself laughing outloud early in the book and quickly fell in love with both Mr. and Mrs. Bunny. I decided I was hooked when I read this:

"Yes, you do that," said Mrs. Bunny, who wanted to get back to her fitness routine. She didn't like Mr. Bunny around for this.  He tended to make remarks.

HAH!

There are many surprising lines like this and I laughed aloud throughout the book. I have no idea if kids will catch the humor but I am pretty sure they will.

Even without the humor, this is a fun story and I highly recommend it. This book received several starred reviews so lots of people love it. A must-read, I think!

And, thank goodness for the CYBILS. I quickly ordered a few of the winners that were announced last week. It is always fun to discover new-to-me books and I thank the CYBILS for recognizing some great books I may have missed.  I read the nonfiction picture book winner,  I FEEL BETTER WITH A FROG IN MY THROAT: HISTORY'S STRANGEST CURES by Carlyn Beccia. This is a fun book that I am sure kids will love.  The book tells of various cures used throughout history and examines those that do/do not really work. I read it cover to cover and learned lots.

I also read HAVE FUN, ANNA HIBISCUS! How have I missed this character?  WOW! I love this character--I love her like I love Clementine and Roscoe Riley. She makes me smile. I ordered every Anna Hibiscus story after I read this one!

Since I am trying to start this running routine, I am also reading a few books to keep me thinking about that.  HEALTH AT EVERY SIZE is a good read. Lots of interesting information about lifestyle changes. I like that one but I am LOVING WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING by Hakuri Murakami.  A great reflective, memoir-type book about running, writing and life. I am anxious to read more of this one this coming week.

Visit TEACH MENTOR TEXTS for the whole round up of IT'S MONDAY-WHAT ARE YOU READING?

14 comments:

  1. Love the books you mention - especially the health books. Today is my first day on Tonia's plan. I'm ready to roll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to check out the Cybil winners... thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your description of the Horvath books; will look them up. And, although I'm not a runner, I think I will enjoy the Murakami memoir. How interesting to interweave the parts together, & I guess I won't understand until I read it! Thanks for all the good books to find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you recommend the "frog in the throat" picture book for a 7 year old? Thinking about getting this one for my nephew for his birthday.

    Thank you! Jeni (@jeniw)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Everything on a Waffle! The humor was great. I added the Bunny book to my TBR and I added the Murakami book, too. I've wanted to read Murakami but it seems super daunting...this one looks short actually! :) Glad you joined in again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to grab some Polly Horvath books. I am not sure how I missed her. Since I am really, really, actually, starting my running again tomorrow, maybe I need to grab the Murakami too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We loved the "Frog in My Throat" book; I think it would be a great book for a 7 year old. Good readers could manage on their own, but it's a great read-aloud too, because the book lets you stop and answer questions. We liked it from my seventh grader down to our emergent reader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeni, I agree with Beth--it is a good book for all ages. It will be one that your nephew can enjoy as he grows up too which is nice. I haven't shared it with kids yet but I think they will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interesting in hearing what you think of Nerd Camp (Cybils MG). I was a judge for the first time. It was a nice learning experience. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Nerd Camp is on my stack--looks like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I must now go and find Anna Hibiscus. I love both Clementine and Roscoe Riley so if she is anything like them, I will love her, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr. and Mrs. Bunny sounds awesome! Definitely being added to my TBR. Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will check out Mr. and Mrs. Bunny. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The book about cures sounds right up the alley of several of my sixth graders...I will have to hunt for it.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.