Monday, August 10, 2015

#pb10for10--Books to Start Conversation about Kindness

Kindness is something that we talk about all year.  So many books invite conversations about what it means to Choose Kind.  And for young children, building understanding across time is key. I have always used books such as Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson to invite conversations about the importance of kindness.  This book is a powerful one that we read and reread several times during the year. But I want my students to see kindness play out in many ways.  I want them to see kindness played out in a variety of situations.  And I want them to see that it is always a choice. So I am keeping a list of books in which the characters Choose Kind (or not) in different ways. Some are more obvious than others but I think this list of books will be a great list to visit and revisit during the year. Some of the titles focus on being kind to family and friend,s while others focus on choosing to be kind to strangers. Some are big acts of kindness while others are small everyday situations.  Some are new books and some are older titles. These are the first 10 books on my list and I hope to grow it as the year goes on.


Bella and Bean by Rebecca Kai Dotlich




To the Sea by Cale Atkinson


Sidewalk Flowers by JonArno Lawson



The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee


Otis and the Scarecrow by Loren Long



Hank Finds an Egg by Rebecca Dudley

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for a list filled with "new to me" titles. I read How to Heal a Broken Wing to my students last year and I had a student cry...I even got choked up by that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a super important topic! There are three on here that I don't know. Not sure whether to head to Tattered Cover or run and hide my charge card! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful list! We love that you included The Summer My Father was Ten. This is such a powerful book and we love the video of you using it in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an important topic to choose kind ... and I love that there are so many books to help with the discussions! You mentioned many new titles to me as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that there are wordless books on your list! I'm going to have to look for Olive and the Embarrassing Gift. Who hasn't had one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful list for this theme! Several unexpected titles here. I'm hoping to share Choose Kind titles throughout the year and will definitely be bookmarking your list to remind me of good books to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that reading these lists reminds me of great picture books. I read How to Heal a Broken Wing, but had forgotten about this treasure. And Hank Finds an Egg - priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful theme and such an important lesson to learn, reinforce, and discuss! My #pb10for10 is about PB featuring diverse characters.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.