Friday, December 04, 2015

Poetry Friday -- Community

I'm writing a haiku-a-day again this December (inspired loosely by Bob Raczka's The Santa Clauses). I wrote a haiku-a-day last December, too, but it was different last year.

I wrote alone.

This year, I invited my Poetry Month Partner in Craziness, Carol (Carol's Corner) to join me. I put my links out on Twitter and one of my other Poetry Month Partners in Craziness, Steve (Inside the Dog) agreed to come along. Kevin (@dogtrax) is joining in on Twitter. A new writing partner, Leigh Anne Eck (A Day in the Life), has joined in. My students (well, some of them) are writing a haiku-a-day between arrival and morning announcements/beginning of content time.

I am not alone.

And as if I needed to be bludgeoned repeatedly with the idea before it would truly sink in -- I am learning (again) that while the writing habit opens my eyes to the world, encourages me to NOTICE (my One Little Word for the year), and instills discipline, it is the community and the conversations that make it a writing LIFE.

My haikus and the rich conversations in the comments are at Poetrepository, and you can also find us on Twitter: @carwilc @insidethedog @dogtrax @Teachr4 @LoreeGBurns

Here is my haiku for today:


Birthday Wish

I'll be a ginkgo--
golden leaves circling my feet,
one ring wiser.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2015


Buffy has the roundup today at Buffy's Blog. The Call For Poetry Friday Roundup Hosts (January-June 2016 edition) post is live here.





20 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, to be one year wiser! So glad you've found community for your haiku, Mary Lee. And this one is exquisite. May all your birthday wishes come true! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to you!
    Happy birthday to you!
    Happy birthday to my favorite ginkgo tree!
    Happy birthday to you!

    What a perfect metaphor poem. "One ring wiser" makes me swoon. And here's to learning the same things over and over again - I am doing the same over here in NY.

    Wishing you joy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful wishes, beautiful tree! Happy birthday to you and all celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birthday wishes to you, Mary Lee. I would love to grab your photo and poem for Autumn's Palette Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, I just *knew* we were cousins for a reason. My favorite tree, at my favorite time of year (although springtime with a ginko is pretty awesome, too) - happy natal week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your haiku. The idea of "one ring wiser" is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for writing haiku every day in December! Love the one ring wiser too :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, Mary Lee. Wishing you a wonderful ringday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to join in, but am trying hard to work on my PiBoIdMo writing, and not get distracted. Will try to read, though. This is lovely, a birthday celebration haiku and the thought of 'one year wiser' makes me happy, and I hope you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the shout out here and for letting me play along in your shadow of poetic brilliance! I know I will learn so much while writing with you and the others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "One ring wiser"=wonderfulness. Happy Ginkgo Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A haiku a day is definitely a do-able goal! I'm happy to see you enjoying the writing. I wish we had a few gingkos up this way, but I can't say I've ever seen one in NH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one by the Ed building at UNH in Durham or at least there was one there.

      Delete
  13. One ring wiser...yes, this is how I will greet my next birthday; it feels far more comforting than "older".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! And I like what you say about how community makes it a writing LIFE. Wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the ancient gingko and its gold, and I like you surrounded by your pile of leaves I mean community!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday, Mary Lee! (I hope you're still celebrating; I am rarely on time for these things.) ;0) Echoing kudos for your "one ring wiser" line - and for gathering folks together to celebrate poetry in community.
    (Oh - I also belatedly made it to the Round-up Calendar post - happy to take March 18 if still open.) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this haiku. And I too echo the sentiments of others in finding "one ring wiser" so much better than older.
    And I loved hearing about the community joining you in your daily efforts this month.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday, Mary Lee! Your haiku is OUR gift. Lovely. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have Bob's wonderful book, Mary Lee. I like your haiku--you have captured the golden magnificence of an atumnal ginkgo tree perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.