Saturday, December 29, 2007

Boot Camp, Books, and Blogging Month

I have named January "Boot Camp, Books, and Blogging Month" for myself. I just signed up for what looks to be an intense boot camp to try to get myself back in shape. 5 days a week at 5:30 am I will be exercising--trying to pull myself back together physically. (Lucky for me, they cannot use my before and after pictures without my permission!? Yes, this sounds like a serious camp...) So, I figure it will be a good month to read and blog too. I am committing to exercise, reading and blogging on a consistent basis in January. (I am pretty sure reading and blogging will be easier things to accomplish..) Winter seems to be a great month to concentrate on these three things. I am trying to get ahead at school so that I can really focus on this for 4-6 weeks.

Although I did not join HipWriterMama's 30 Day Challenge this fall, her posts got me thinking. 30 days to start a new habit. 30 days doesn't sound like too long. So, this boot camp seemed like the perfect idea once I heard about it.

Getting back in shape is not that much different from writing. There are parts in the process that a are just killer and parts where you hit that "high" of exercise. I know that the first couple of weeks will be incredibly hard and exhausting and painful but there is no easy way to do it. I have been in decent shape before but have somehow let exercise and healthy eating go. A full time job, kids, husband, writing, etc. all come first.

The interesting thing about this Boot Camp is that there are women of all ability levels in terms of fitness. So, I am thinking he must run camp in the same ways we run good reading and writing workshops--making sure everyone is reading and writing and progressing at their own level.

My Boot Camp begins on Monday, January 7 but I have to go for an assessment and a nutrition class next week. I will keep you all updated. I figure the more people I tell, the better chance I have of making good progress and holding myself accountable, right?

3 comments:

  1. Go, Franki! I've been boot-camping it since the fall, and I love it. It's not five days a week, like yours, but it's intense, led by women, and held outside. We all jogged in Santa hats on our last class before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:04 PM

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go! And if you dare, join me on my 2008 New Year's 30 Day Challenge...hee, hee.

    Good luck. I know you can do this! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.