Saturday, December 15, 2007

Dear Santa...

For this gift book post, we decided to be a bit selfish. We thought it would be fun to create our own wish lists of books. Any family members who read our blog will have an easy time buying us gifts. And, if you know us, you know we'll just buy these books after the holidays if we don't get them as gifts! Win-win. We like it that way when it comes to books!

Franki's Holiday Wish List

My piles of Books-To-Read seem to be growing and growing and growing. Two that I am hoping to get to soon are Run by Ann Patchett and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I don't need to ask for those--I already have them! But, these are books I would LOVE to own that I don't own yet:

Good Dog. Stay. by Anna Quindlen
Somehow I missed that Anna Quindlen had a new book out. This seems like a different type of book for her. One about her dog. It seems like one of her short life-lesson books. I read and love EVERYTHING by Anna Quindlen so I would love to add this one to my shelf.

Fire From the Rock by Sharon Draper
Sally's Newbery Hopeful list prompted me to want to read this one. Sharon is an Ohio author which makes it even more fun.

Eggs by Jerry Spinelli
Larry Swartz has been talking about this book since he read it last winter. I usually read Spinelli's books right when they come out, but I've missed his new ones this year for some reason. So this is way up there on the list of books to read before the Newbery is announced.

Honeybee: Poems and Short Prose by Naomi Shy Nihab
I saw an advanced copy of this book at NCTE and LOVE it. I love the poems, the concept of people finding passions and looking at the world in new ways, and I always love this author. Can't wait to get a real copy of this one. I know that it won't be out before Christmas, but my husband could preorder it for me, I guess... (hint, hint)

Where I Live by Eileen Spinelli
This books keep showing up on my lists of books I want to read but I forget about it every time I go to the bookstore. It is one that has looked good to me since I first heard about it. And every time since. If I don't get it on my stack upstairs, I am afraid I'll forget about it.

The Italian Cookie Tray
I would love to have this book or one like it. A book about Italian cookie baking. I love to bake cookies--especially at Christmastime and I like to try a few new recipes each year. I was looking for some recipes when I found this book. A book on Italian cookies and all of the traditions that go with them would be a fun one to have.

How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read by Pierre Bayard
This is an interesting concept and it sounds like it would be fun to read. Who would think that someone would write a book about a topic like this--how could it not be an interesting read?

Regarding Emma: Photographs of American Women and Girls
I found this book a while ago while searching Ann Patchett. I love the whole idea of it and would love to have a copy.

But, what I would really, really, really like is this bibliochaise...who comes up with these things!? Thanks to Pixie Stix Kids Pix for sharing this find!


Mary Lee's Holiday Wish List


I mustmustmust have a copy of Andrea Beaty's Iggy Peck, Architect. Did you know it is number 4 on the Time Magazine Top 10 Children's Books list? (Thanks to Gregory K. for the heads-up!) Andrea is one of the Three Silly Chicks. She has her own blog, too.

While I was browsing around some of Time's other Top 10 lists, I checked out the Top 10 Graphic Novels. (Nope, none of the Cybils nominees made it to their list.) Number 4 on their list looks interesting: Jack of Fables Vol. 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape. It sounds a little like Into the Wild by Sarah Durst, except for the sex, nudity and corruption. Fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters are exiled and forced to live undercover in New York City.

This week's Poetry Friday (rounded up at The Miss Rumphius Effect) added an author to my must-have list. Shelf Elf introduced me to the poetry of Loris Lesynski. Books of funny poems do not stay on my shelf long during Poetry Friday. Lesynski's books will be a welcome addition to my collection.

Books that are coming out soon that I will have to have include: Babymouse #8: Puppy Love by Jennifer Holm (Dec 26, 2007), Clementine's Letter by Sara Pennypacker (April 15, 2008), and Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia by Barbara O'Connor (May 1, 2003).

My wish list is short because the one thing I want more than any more books is TIME TO READ THE ONES I ALREADY OWN!!!!

5 comments:

  1. My list is kind of the same as Mary Lee's: more time to read the books that I already had. Though I do have a few others that I'm particularly hankering for (and I'll also be an early adopter of Clementine's Letter when it's available).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just, I don't know, link to your lists and say ditto?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Franki, I read and LOVED Ann Patchett's Run. I got to her her speak, too, and autography my copy (and I decided at the last minute to have it autographed for my girls for when they're older). It's fabulous, though I decided to not review it at 7-Imp (just to take a break from reviewing -- sometimes it's nice to just read and then stop!).

    Jules, 7-Imp

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant, "hear her speak" .... :)

    Jules

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.