Thursday, December 27, 2007

Reading Glasses for 2008!









I think it is time for me to accept the fact that 2007 will become the last year I read without reading glasses. My vision has always been 20/20 and is still good. However, during my last few annual eye exams, I seemed to "qualify for" reading glasses. I think I got my first pair 4-5 years ago. I'd wear them once in a while, mostly for fun. This last year, I noticed that I needed glasses to read small print directions, etc. Lately, I have noticed that reading in bed lasts about 10 minutes before I fall asleep.

So, this week, I started reading with my reading glasses on. I was reading a book recommended by Karen in her Newbery Hopeful post--THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY by Trenton Lee Stewart when I realized how blurry the words seemed. (By the way, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book and would be thrilled to see it win an award!) What a difference the glasses make! I didn't realize how much I was straining to read the print on the page until I forced myself to wear them. It made a huge difference. I enjoyed the book, read 350+ pages yesterday and have moved on to EGGS by Jerry Spinelli (recommended by Larry in his Newbery Hopeful post).

The problem with my reading glasses is that I can't wear them if I am not reading. They are only for reading--I can't really walk while I am wearing them. They aren't meant for that. So, my dilemma is locating them when it is time to read. Taking them upstairs with me at night, having them at school for read aloud, etc. At 44, I finally understand people who wear their glasses on a chain--what a grand invention. But, one I am not yet ready for. Any good tips on having your reading glasses handy when you need them would be hugely appreciated!

So, in 2008, my reading will change in that I imagine I will be wearing my reading glasses far more often. A small price to pay for being able to see the words on the page. And I think it justifies buying some extra pairs with fun frames--to make sure I have a pair when and where I need them.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:20 PM

    That's exactly what my dad has always done -- he has several pairs around the house (not entirely on purpose), but there's usually a pair within reach when he needs them. He just gets them from Wal-Mart or wherever, so when he loses a pair, it's not a huge deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that book too! I read it last summer. I especially loved the fact that four children who were all so different worked together. It illustrated the point that we are all needed for our different strengths and talents.

    Reading glasses aren't so bad. I have had to wear glasses for quite some time because of astigmatism. The sad day for me is when I realized I couldn't drive without them anymore, if I wanted to read the signs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Franki. I'm in the same boat. It just a year or so I'll be in bifocals. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, buy lots of them. The Target Dollar Spot has them. Then, station them all over the house and workplace and you'll be fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.