Friday, September 17, 2010

Poetry Friday -- Over the Rainbow



Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

from "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
music by Harold Arlen and lyrics by E.Y. Harburg


I've been wishing for a rainbow recently, and last weekend I got one. Now if only we could arrange for the "troubles melt like lemon drops" part...

But sometimes if you can't get your troubles to melt, at least you get some good news to sweeten things up -- our Poetry Friday Panel proposal ("Poetry Friday: Sharing Poems and Celebrating Poetry, One Blog at a Time") was accepted for KidLitCon! If you haven't signed up to go to Minneapolis (October 23), now you've got one more great reason: you can come chat about all things Poetry Friday with this great panel: Andromeda Jazmon of A Wrung Sponge, Elaine Magliaro of Wild Rose Reader, Laura Salas of Writing the World for Kids, Mary Ann Scheuer of Great Kid Books, Toby Speed of The Writer's Armchair, Amy VanDerwater of Poem Farm, and me of here. We're very excited to meet each other in person, and we can't wait to meet YOU and talk about poetry in the Kidlitosphere!! I even heard a rumor that the "founder" of Poetry Friday, Kelly Herold of Big A little a might be coming to KidLitCon. What are you waiting for? Go register now!



Because sometimes it makes you feel better just to sing along, here's Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and here's Judy Garland singing it.

Elaine has today's Poetry Friday roundup at Wild Rose Reader.

14 comments:

  1. Mary Lee, thanks for rainbows in all their forms.

    I have some things to figure out, but it's looking good for me to get to the convention. I would love to meet you and the other poetry lovers in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lee, I love that version of Over the Rainbow. Thanks for that this morning. Have you ever heard Eva Cassidy sing it? A friend just recently sent me her version. It's here.

    It's not looking good for me to get up there on the 23rd, but if the weekend opens up for me, I'll zoom up at the last-minute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:47 AM

    Congrats on being the poetry panel begin accepted to Kidlit Con. I am so sorry to miss it. Will be there in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when I read song lyrics and hear the poetry in them anew.

    Can't wait to meet the whole panel! Thanks for including me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lee, looking forward to it, and to seeing you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on getting the Poetry Panel accepted, Mary Lee!

    Thanks for the rainbows today -- the Iz version is immortal :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary Lee,
    Congrats to the Poetry Panel. This community of writers in oh so inspirational and I love reading your blog that leads me to great literature. This version of Over the Rainbow is so beautiful. Actually mentioned it in my Tuesday post.
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Jeannine, I DO hope you make it to KidLitCon! I'll bring a book for you to sign!

    Melissa, looking forward to meeting the coiner of the term Kidlitosphere! I'll be wanting your autograph!!

    Karen, the Eva Cassidy version is gorgeous (the singing AND the visuals), but I'm still with Jama -- the Iz version is immortal (the singing...maybe not so much the visuals, if you know what I mean....)

    Thanks all for the congrats, and thanks Looking for the Write Words for the OH group compliment! We're meeting this Tuesday and I'll pass it along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that sounds like so much fun! Wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Mary Lee. Congrats on the panel being approved. Just a reminder -- I won't be able to make it to the conference. I'll be sending you poetic vibes from Maryland!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. What a stellar lineup. It makes me doubly sad that I can't make the KidLitCon this year because it conflicts with my local SCBWI conference.

    The first poem I ever wrote as a teenager was about a rainbow. What can I say? Love and rainbows go together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I am green with envy (though it actually feels kind of blue) about KidLitCon - when am I ever going to actually meet some of you?? This friendship-via-blog is frustrating. Wish I could go...I'll be in Spain visiting family. But big congratulations on the acceptance of your panel, Mary Lee, and thanks for that ukulele, and Israel, and Judy, and Toto, and rainbows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Mary Lee, for the rainbow! Today's weather matched it perfectly, and so do my feelings about KidLitCon. While I'm thanking you, thank you for everything you do to support and encourage all of us bloggers out here. You have such a giving spirit, and I can't wait to meet you and the whole panel in person! So funny to have friends I have never seen...poetry friends.
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah... catching up on blog reading after two out of three days of dismal training...

    thanks for bringing out a rainbow is a rather gloomy week!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.