Friday, September 10, 2010

Poetry Friday -- Butterflies





One of the Butterflies
by W. S. Merwin

The trouble with pleasure is the timing
it can overtake me without warning
and be gone before I know it is here
it can stand facing me unrecognized
while I am remembering somewhere else
in another age or someone not seen
for years and never to be seen again
in this world and it seems that I cherish
only now a joy I was not aware of
when it was here although it remains
out of reach and will not be caught or named
or called back and if I could make it stay
as I want to it would turn to pain.


I took the pictures. (It's the same butterfly, showing off her outer and inner beauties.) I found the poem at The Writer's Almanac and couldn't figure out a way to divide it. Hopefully the copyright police will allow me this rare indiscretion.

The roundup today is at Picture Book of the Day, hosted by Anastasia Suen.

Happy Friday! And, hey, don't let your happiness get away from you like a butterfly that doesn't sit still for a picture -- pay attention to your happiness and enjoy it NOW, while it's right there in front of you!


9 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Lee--Love the butterfly photos--so ephemeral and beautiful, a great illustration of the poem.

    Thanks for the reminder to look for and find beauty in the small, daily things. I'm not wild about the poem (wanted more imageryJ), but love the message. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this lovely poem and for your joyful outlook and reflection. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to start the day! Beautiful photos, ML, and the perfect poem to go with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lee,

    Great butterfly photos! Lovely poem selection. It seems so many things that give us pleasure are evanescent--good reason to appreciate them when we can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:00 PM

    Beautiful photos!

    You can't possibly know how perfect the poem you shared was for me this week. Talk about timing! I'm saving this one. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so, true. Every day, as I watch my boys grow a little more like men, and as I drive and cook and wash, I think, "Be still. Treasure this. They will be gone so soon."

    And beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love W.S. Merwin and those are lovely photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the poem, butterfly (yes, so hard to catch... and then there is the wind..) and important reminder

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just when I thought I couldn't adore W.S. Merwin any more! Thanks for the poem and photos, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.