Tuesday, September 21, 2010

And Yet Another Song Book

As you know if you read my blog posts, I love new songbooks. I think they are quite fun and I also know how important they are for early literacy development. When I heard about THERE WAS AN OLD LADY WHO SWALLOWED SOME BUGS by Johnette Downing, I ordered it immediately. I love all of the different versions of this story/song. And this one is a bit unique. The story follows the typical "There was an old lady" format and in this version, the old lady eats a variety of bugs including a mosquito, a worm, a slug and a roach. UGH! The illustrations are unique in that you don't see the entire Old Lady getting bigger and bigger. Instead, each page focuses on the tongue and the stomach--close ups of the "old lady" eating each bug and them gathering in her tummy. But this one has a fun surprise ending that I think kids will love.

The text of this one is a bit tricky in that some pages contain a lot of text and some of the bug names might be unknown to young kids but I think this book will be enjoyed by kids of all ages--a fun version of a well-loved song!

2 comments:

  1. I MUST have this book for my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reviewing my book; much appreciated! I tweeted it, shared it on FB and Blogged it. I think I told the Universe! All the best to you both. I read alot too. Currently, I'm reading the YA book by L. Halse Andersen, Fever 1793. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.