Friday, September 24, 2010

Poetry Friday: You Read to Me, I'll Read to You



INTRODUCTION

Here's a book
Of Aesop's Fables,

Tales where turtles
Turn the tables,

Tales with lions,
Tales with mice,

Tales where ants
Give good advice.


(to read the rest of the poem, you'll have to get your own copy of the book!)

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fables to Read Together
by Mary Ann Hoberman
illustrated by Michael Emberley
Little, Brown and Company, 2010
review copy provided by the publisher

At ALA last June, I got the chance to tell Mary Ann  Hoberman that she is a rock star in my classroom. On Poetry Fridays, her You Read to Me, I'll Read to You books are the most popular books on the poetry shelf in my classroom. And why not? They are so fun, and perfectly designed for buddy reading. They are easy enough for struggling readers to figure out, and easy enough for confident readers to read with dramatic expression. They are well enough known that sometimes the audience joins in the performance!

This newest volume is a welcome addition to the set. The fables Hoberman chose to include are well-known or have an easily-understood moral.  Emberley's illustrations start telling a story of their own from the title page on. Fun, fun, fun!

There's more fun to be had today at the Poetry Friday Round Up.  Karen, at The Blog With the Shockingly Clever Title, is hosting today.


11 comments:

  1. I had no idea a new one was coming. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is the line we met in at ALA! Embarrassed to say I've skimmed this but not read it. Oi. Will be pulling it off my shelf today to read. Thanks for the nudge:>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Laura, this is indeed the line where we met! (and where I whined about not getting an arc of this book...guess that's a moot point now!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these books are a HUGE hit for my class on Poetry Friday. Some of more reluctant readers have read aloud with a friend. Thanks for letting us know a new one came out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lee,

    I love Mary Ann Hoberman's poetry. She surely knows her metrics! I didn't know about this book. I'll have to get a copy. I'm a little behind the times of late--lots of family matters to attend to.

    Have a great weekend. It's like summer again here in Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, looka there. I didn't know that there was a new one coming out. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! I am going to hunt down a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for this to come out. And after reading your blog this morning I ran to our school library and checked out You Read to Me. I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together and the kindergartners loved it! After the third story they were repeating the last line to me, it was great.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:38 PM

    Looks wonderful, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In our 2nd grade class, we've copied these off and read them through the week both at home and school. The kids enjoy them as a way to work with fluency, and it works well as something to send home because the format encourages kids to read it with someone!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.