Thursday, January 17, 2013

I Wish I Had Written This Book


You Are My Wonders
by Maryann Cusimano Love
illustrated by Satomi Ichikawa
Philomel Books, 2012
this book was a gift from a former student

My love of 5th graders is a little on-again off-again these days. You know how they get; what it's like to try to keep their focus. But you also know about their razor-sharp wit and their amazing insights.

I need to read this book every day so that I can remember that they are truly my wonders.

"I am your teacher;
you are my school child.

I am your welcome;
you are my running wild.

I am your bell;
you are my ring.

I am your notes;
you are my sing.
.
.
.
I am your story;
you are my wide eyes.

I am your lesson;
you are my surprise.

I am your stillness;
you are my jiggle.

I am your straight line;
you are my wiggle."


Really. I need to read it every day.

And did I mention how much I wish I had written this book?

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful book! And even though you didn't write it, you do write it every day...in the way you teach and talk about these students of yours. You are their gift. They are your gift. And you're our gift too! xo, a.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this today! Perfect timing with the "testing" of mid year starting. You could have written this book. Just think about all those wonders each day that we don't anticipate? isn't that why we teach amazing fifth graders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you tell I was sort of talking to you when I wrote this post? 'Cause I was!

      Delete
  3. This is one to buy for all those teachers I work with, now with our big night coming, they can use a lot of wonder. Thanks Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught 5th grade for 24 years and loved them almost all the time, too! I love this book already and will read and share it. It was the days when someone totally suprised me that really made my heart sing. And these kids are so lucky to be able to wonder along with you. See you in Texas I hear from Kim and Jan. Hooray!
    Janet F.
    Definitely loving Book Love!! Thank you and Frankie again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:50 PM

    Oh my goodness...this looks awesome. I taught 26 years! I can really relate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just put it on hold! Can't wait to read it. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Thank you for introducing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree more. Thank you for sharing.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teachers in my school are in the midst of writing narrative reports, prepping for parent-teacher conferences, and battling the winter doldrums. This poem is the perfect reminder about the wonder of teaching. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Lee~
    Thank you so much for sharing, this title is a must have! This poem together with my 2013 mantra- Assume good intentions, will be thought of each day. It's hard to admit I ned this -I believe our job is a priviledge, but it certainly is not without challenges.
    My 12 yo daughter once said, "Mommy you can't have a bad day because your bad day is 23 kids' bad day." PRESSURE!
    1st- 5th everyday truly wonders!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.