Friday, November 29, 2013

#Nerdlution: When Mr. Sharp Creates a Hashtag, You Know He Means Business



It happened so quickly. I committed so publicly...to writing for 30 minutes each day and walking/running 20 minutes each day for 50 days....Here's how it happened.

After working through our book draft at #ncte13 and trying to figure out how to move forward, Bill and I left convention with a commitment to write for 30 minutes a day. I write that much now, but I am loose about what I write and  I needed to commit to 30 minutes a day on working on the book.  It seems if I don't write every day and I try to write on the weekends, I spend half of my weekend time trying to regain my thinking from the week before.  Writing every day seems like something worth trying.

Then I read Colby's post about his commitment to write every day.  Then as I was browsing blogs, I read about someone's running streak.  I decided a streak sounded like a good idea.  I was hesitant to think about actually committing to it because I did not do so well on my 2013 goals.

Streaks seem to work to change habits.  People write about lifestyle changes because of Run Streaks, Runner's World sponsors several streaks throughout the year. Sherry blogged about her experience about her Run Streak at Reading Teachers Running.

But streaks work for more than just running. I've seen that over and over again with Kate Messner's Teachers Write, Ruth Ayres' Slice of Life Challenge and Nanowrimo.

I have been looking for a way to get back to a more balanced life as my 2013 goals did not go so well.  My concussion caused me to stop too many things that I had committed to. But, I figured Katherine would be up for a streak, as she was one of my original running partners,  so I sent some tweets.




Then, Chris Lehman jumped in with his push-up resolution turned streak.


And then Bill realized that I had publicly committed the writing part for him too:-)


And then.....Colby created a hashtag!



And, when Mr. Sharp creates a hashtag, you know he means business....

Join us!
Pick a #nerdlution and check in each day on Twitter!
50 Days!

December 2-January 20 #nerdlution



10 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for having the conversation and thank you even more for inviting others. I'm in! I've accepted the invitation! :) Looking forward to starting and to the encouragement that I know I'll need! :) http://1gratefulteacher.blogspot.com/2013/11/invitation-and-inspirationnerdlution.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in. I like the write 30 minutes a day and/or work 30 minutes a day on my novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be joining you! I started early - TODAY! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in....20 and 20 sounds fair! You can't write when you are on the treadmill - heavens knows I have tried!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in, start a blog with an entry each week and 50 days of just writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in. I am working on writing and my faith. I am continuing an old resolution of exercising. :)
    http://aneducationalphoenix.edublogs.org/2013/12/02/maybe-a-nerdlution-works-better-than-a-resolution/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in - still pondering what my goal is…will have it nailed down by tomorrow, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in! I'm a few days late, but I am committing to the 30 minutes (at least) of writing and 30 (minutes) of "moving my body" each day. So wonderful to have a community.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.