Saturday, November 09, 2013

Celebrate This Week!

Discover. Play. Build.

Am loving this excuse every Saturday to look back on my week and think about all of the celebrations! Thank you, Ruth Ayres, for this great new tradition!  Don't forget to visit Ruth Ayres Writes for all of this week's Celebrations!

-Our classroom was great fun this week.  I slowed down a little bit and it made a difference for all of us.  This week, I shared this Saturday blog event with my kids and they loved it. They quickly thought of many classroom celebrations from the week and we are participating on our class blog for the first time!

-Recess duty is not my favorite thing about being a teacher. This week, I heard a child yell, "I want my hat back!" I looked over and he was chasing a friend who had taken his red hat.  Funny how my favorite book shows up everywhere in my life.

-I somehow missed that James Preller had a 3rd book in his Scary Tales series come out in September. One of my students and I discovered it this week! (Good Night, Zombie (Scary Tales) )The series is quite popular with my 3rd graders right now!

-This isn't a new Ted Talk, but it is new to me and I am so happy I found it. A great message.



-All of my friends know that loving nature is not something I do. BUT...there are about 2 weeks each fall that the leaves in our neighborhood are breathtaking. I can't help but notice them and be in awe of them. This is one of those weeks!

-Our puppy is still adorable!


-I found some boots I love.

-Ann Patchett has a new book that was released this week. This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage She is one of my favorite authors so any new book she writes is a definite celebration for me!

--I ordered a few pieces from The Trashy Crafter on Etsy.  The owner, Kim, had accidentally sold a piece that I ordered so she sent me a very nice note, letting me know she was going to send me an extra piece just because she made a mistake!  I thought that was VERY nice of her.  So I figured as part of this week's celebration, I'd pay it forward.  If you leave a comment on this post, I will put your name in a drawing to win this Dr. Seuss necklace from The Trashy Crafter.   Kim makes lots of great stuff, but I especially love the necklaces and bracelets from recycled books! (I'll announce the winner next Saturday, November 16.)   And, if you haven't discovered the Trashy Crafter blog, it is quite a treat!





25 comments:

  1. Franki, your celebrations touch several different aspects of your life. I love the recess story! With the focus of celebrations, we notice the celebrations, the necklace is beautiful. I love the color combination. It's like a celebration itself. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the first name in drawing to win the necklace!

      Delete
  2. Recess, ugh. It was my week for duty so I had recess every morning and crossing duty every day after school. I'm glad the week is over and I only wish I had seen a hat adventure on the playground. :)

    Love the necklace and the boots - where did you finally find them? And are they Born? It looks like it - and I love that brand. So wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat adventure did make recess duty a little more fun! And yes, they are BORN--found them at Nordstrom finally.

      Delete
  3. I love all your little celebrations, makes for 'happy' every time, doesn't it? Your dog is very cute. I'm thinking of getting another pet and have been looking at shelter pets-breaks my heart to see so many, though! And thanks for the link to the 'trashy crafter'-I'll visit! Thanks for all Franki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love our new Havanese--a great dog!

      Delete
  4. I love your celebrations and breezy voice. That puppy is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea of bringing celebrations to the classroom. We also have a classroom blog and having them think about celebrations might be a great writing piece for them!
    Thanks for sharing the Trashy Crafter...will have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brought it to the classroom on a whim. In a parent conference, a parent thought I made all my kids start their Friday Letters with, "We had a great week!" I don't but it was a reminder how kids so naturally celebrate and there was a way to capture that. thanks!

      Delete
  6. I love getting these snapshots into your world. Makes me feel like we don't live so far apart. Thanks for the TED Talk. It's a new one to me too.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how these things (like the TED Talk) come to us when it is just what we are thinking about!

      Delete
  7. Your puppy is adorable! I recently discovered your blog, and truly enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, I enjoy reading your blog. My TBR pile and amazon wish list also say "thank you." I love the idea of making jewelry from recycled books. The necklace looks for fun. Perfectly fun for a teacher reader. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the eclectic celebration collection. I also read your classroom celebration and loved the shine of learning in it.
    I wish that your next week will bring many reasons to celebrate also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just discovered your blog and was drawn to it because I, too, love children's literature....and I am taking a class in Web 2.0 tools and am researching different kinds of blogs! I love the idea of finding something good in each week--even if you have lunch/recess/bus duty! :) I will be following you from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the variety of your celebrations this week! Your dog is just adorable and I love your new boots! The red hat recess story is awesome! My mom just e-mailed me about the Anne Patchett book and wants us to read it together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you found the just right boots. I love that you are having your class join the celebration. I am also a Patchet fan and look forward to this new book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Franki-- Wow! A whole lot to celebrate and a cute puppy besides! I actually am one of the few people I know that love recess duty-- my 45 minutes includes kindergarten and then middle school. Both groups are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:03 AM

    i've been hearing lots of classrooms starting to blog which i think is cool. and to have students participate in this meme is important and i think will just have positive ripple effects in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Franki - we love the boots, of course the puppy and thank you for sharing that TedTalk. It is also new to us. Such a powerful piece and so nicely linked to the importance of celebrating!
    Tammy and Clare

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the Ted Talk! Thank you for sharing. Oh, your dog is absolutely adorable. I'm wondering what kind of puppy it is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you overhead at recess. That happens to me all the time - I hear something and think books! Love it.
    I also hopped over to your classroom blog - a job well done by those kids!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.