Friday, November 29, 2013

Poetry Friday -- Giving Thanks

Flickr Creative Commons Photo by prettywar-stl


In Praise of My Bed
by Meredith Holmes

At last I can be with you!
The grinding hours
since I left your side!
The labor of being fully human,
working my opposable thumb,
talking, and walking upright.

(read the whole poem here, and sigh at the end)



Whew! Made it to the intermediate finish line known as Thanksgiving Break! First trimester report cards done and sent, we have at least a shell of a plan for second trimester instruction, and while the multiple final and pre-assessments given over the past two weeks have not been graded, at least there is a bit of breathing room to do so. 

I'm giving thanks for breathing room: time for sleeping in and napping, time for writing and reading, time for slowing down to a more reasonable pace.

Carol has the Poetry Friday roundup this week at Carol's Corner.


10 comments:

  1. That poem is absolutely delicious. I too have been so hungry to sleep in and let my mind wander to things that I have put at the low end of my priority list. Happy re-charging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ode to my Bed" and also "Ode to the Mop" have figured prominently in my life this week! Hope you get lots of rest this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, I did sigh, & wish I had written this, Mary Lee. There aren't too many weeks till the longer holidays-take heart & nap a little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sighhhhh.... I have been burning the candle at both ends for, well, months now. That poetic pause of blissful rest was just what I needed this morning! Thanks and have a rejuvenating weekend...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still sighing...such a busy lead up to Thanksgiving this year, but we made it!
    PS. glad to meet you at NCTE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to a much longer holiday in the upcoming weeks. And then I'd probably start writing an ode to my couch or my bed too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's pretty much how I feel about my bed! Hope your holiday weekend was everything you imagined it might be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me laugh out loud, Mary Lee - so many times I've crawled in between the sheets and sighed after hectic hours doing this and that and the other! Thanks for posting it. Hope to meet you at some future NCTE gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa... I'm ready for an encore.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.