Saturday, April 12, 2014

2014 Kidlitosphere Progressive Poem.12


I've peeked in on our poem as it germinated and sprouted, but I tried not to pay too much attention so I'd be ready with an open mind when my turn came. I think you'll be as surprised by my line as I was!

You can check the sidebar to learn which poet from around the Kidlitosphere wrote which line so far. Thank you, Irene (Live Your Poem) for organizing this fun collaboration!

The emotional roller coaster early in the poem seems to have leveled out. Our speaker seems more confident and ready for the journey. The journey of a lifetime, perhaps.

Without further ado, the poem with my line added:


Sitting on a rock, airing out my feelings to the universe
Acting like a peacock, only making matters that much worse;
Should I trumpet like an elephant emoting to the moon,
Or just ignore the warnings written in the rune?
Those stars can’t seal my future; it’s not inscribed in stone.
The possibilities are endless! Who could have known?
Gathering courage, spiral like an eagle after prey
Then gird my wings for whirlwind gales in realms far, far away.
But, hold it! Let's get practical! What's needed before I go?
Time to be tactical— I'll ask my friends what I should stow.
And in one breath, a honeyed word whispered low— dreams — 
Whose voice? I turned to see. I was shocked. Irene's?


14 comments:

  1. Ha! That IS a surprise! How strange to find one's own name in a poem?! Nice near rhyme. I'm blushing. And laughing. Thank you, Mary Lee! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who better to be whispering "honeyed words" of inspiration in our ears?!?!

      Delete
  2. My comment disappeared somehow, so if you end up with two! And now it's up to Janet to tell us what those 'honeyed' words are saying, right? Fun to contemplate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem is wide open again for a new direction! Have fun, Janet!

      Delete
  3. Love your slant rhyme and reference to our fearless leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to keep up the rhyme scheme so lovingly curated for the previous eleven lines, but I just couldn't come up with a spot-on rhyme. I debated long and hard about whether or not to put Irene in the poem, but in the end, I thought it would be a fun little tribute to "our fearless leader!"

      Delete
  4. Percolating! Trying to channel lovely Irene! Think things are coming in!
    Janet F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see in what direction you point the poem and where it goes after that and after that!

      Delete
  5. Yes! I knew you'd come up with something wonderful, Mary Lee! Oh, where will it lead? : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great twist, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Lee, your line cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to imagine a voice I'd rather hear than Irene's! Thank you for the fun and the giggle, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, Mary Lee - now Janet gets to put more words in Irene's mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! (Irene, see what happens when you let loose such an enterprise with all these creative folk?!)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.